12: A First

I was again indulging in the depths of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby for the millionth time when Klaus' sister, Rebekah, barged into the hotel room and stood at the end of the bed I was sitting on.

I tore my eyes away from the book, which I bought just after we arrived here in Chicago, and gave the female original a questioning look.

"Get up. Nik asked me to come and fetch you. We're going shopping, you haven't been out of this room since we've checked in," Rebekah said while pulling my left arm out of its socket to make me stand up.

"Ow, alright I'll go, just don't rip my arm off. Seriously, the first time we've met, you wanted to drain me of my blood but now, we're besties," I chuckled while Rebekah glared at me playfully.

"Hahaha, alright alright. I'm coming," I said while laughing before following Rebekah out of the massive hotel room Klaus got― I mean compelled― for us.

Flashback

Stefan, Klaus and I have been going back and forth to Gloria's bar and the original hybrid wouldn't stop talking about his brotherhood with my younger brother back in the 20s. Klaus was explaining to Stefan how Stef couldn't remember Klaus and his sister Rebekah.

"You compelled me to forget?"Stefan asked him, scrunching his forehead up in frustration.

Klaus sat between Stefan and I while he drank the contents of his glass. Gloria stood in front of me and offered me a drink but I shook my head dismissively but thanked her quietly.

"It was time for me and Rebekah to move on. Better to have a clean slate," Klaus replied nonchalantly.

"But why? You shouldn't have to cover your tracks... Unless you were running from someone."

"Story time's over," Klaus said while sipping his bourbon.

Stefan let out a heavy sigh before shifting his head towards the windows before saying, "I need another drink. A real one,"

He stood and walked towards the door of Gloria's bar. "Don't kill anyone or I'll stake you myself!" I shouted after him before he disappeared outside, Klaus let out a small laugh before gulping his alcohol.

"What?" I asked while a smile unconsciously crept onto my lips.

"Nothing to worry about love," He smirked, showing off his perfectly-sculptured dimples.

So Rebekah..." I trailed off while fixing my gaze on the original hybrid.

"She'll be here in a while," he replied, meeting my eyes.

I stared into the depths of his eyes. At first, I thought he had ocean blue eyes but his were smoldering grey orbs with a tinge of an ocean color in it. He cleared his throat out before I turned away from him, blood staining the insides of my cheeks.

We sat in comfortable silence despite the natural human noise of the bar. He was quietly sipping his bourbon whilst I was staring ahead, waiting for Stefan's comeback. I heard the bell chimed as the door opened but I didn't bother to look at the bar's entrance, so did Klaus.

I saw someone leaned against the bar beside Klaus from the corner of my eyes and Klaus said, "I see they've opened the doors to the riffraff now."

My eyes widened in shock as I looked at Klaus and saw Damon beside him.

"Oh honey, I've been called worse," Damon replied without looking at the hybrid, making Klaus chuckle.

"Stefan made it clear to stay away, Damon. What are you doing here?" I said with annoyance while furrowing my eyebrows.

"I'm here to get you and Stefan back. Whatever it takes."