Fight

This chapter is written as part of the Wattpad Weekly Contest #57. Enjoy!

Bluebird.

Cotton curtains flickered against the gentle breeze from outside, the chirp of the bluebird echoed through her mind. Rich azure a stark contrast to the pale white of the window and curtains it settled beside. The small bird sang a quiet song to her as their eyes met.

Why do I feel like I'm crying?

Vanessa could not remember if this vision was a memory or fantasy, she could not tell if she was weeping or just felt compelled to. She strained to recollect what was outside the window.

Rolling knolls, a serene stream, an overgrown grove... never had she behold anything so peaceful.

"Vanessa." She was rudely split from the scene, Hyuin standing over her. "Come on. Drinks are on me tonight." Vanessa stared at her desk, the Ajaji files staring back at her, unfinished.

"Yeah, McHanon's tonight, right?"

"Of course. Where else is worth a pint on a Friday?" Vanessa jammed the records into her top drawer and locked it. Her satchel and jacket threw over her shoulder as she bolted out the door with Hyuin.

"So, you took a zap in the field this morning..." Hyuin pried, Vanessa had pleaded with the Qen to hold the queries until they were off the clock. She held up her bargain, but Vanessa still had no idea how to rationalise what happened.

"Yes, and now people are randomly disappearing."

"But only humans."

"But only humans," Vanessa repeated, affirming her friend. The two women halted as the main entrance didn't open as it should have once they approached.

Vanessa skimmed her wrist over the scanner and... nothing. Hyuin tugged at the side in some futile attempt to pry it loose, but nothing happened. "Out-of-order, ladies, seems the quake knocked it out, use the garage." A mechanic yelled from the facility office behind them after he heard the struggle.

"Thanks!" They both shouted, swerving back and headed down to the garage.

"So, why aren't you disappearing?"

"I really... don't know..."

"Is it because of that exere?"

"Maybe? It was this surreal dream, I think. I was in bed, there was a bluebird, Sarge's voice... it was like a memory but a dream?"

"You're dreaming about Sargent Yiiji?" Hyuin teased, poking Vanessa's sensitive hips.

"Hyu!" She giggled as she swats the claws away from her body, jogging ahead of her friend. The door slid open as she rushed through and onto the sidewalk.

Autos settled on the street in designated slots as others zipped past them above in what could only be described as organised chaos.

England had taken a very slow approach to modernising its buildings, most were still traditional brick and mortar, with hints of metal and glass highlighting the landscape.

"The trolley will be here in a few minutes, or we can walk. Your call." Hyuin dug through her bag and plucked a small makeup wand and mirror out, spreading a dab more mascara on.

Two robins fluttered overhead, chirping a song as they danced through the sky above them, "I've spent enough time sitting today." Hyuin linked her arm around Vanessa's and nodded in approval.

Vanessa and Hyuin made the brief jaunt to the congested pub, the stools and booths all crammed with patrons; exere, humans, qen, char all mixed and mingled.