Chapter 3 : Just My Town

After the fight with the bullies, Travis took a few days off of school. He was given a two week pardon by the head master of the school, and each of his teachers gave him all the assignments and notes he'd be missing. Travis couldn't really see a down side to this home-stuck life, besides the occasional cramping in his legs or lack of a social life, but he never really had one in the first place. The only person who even came to visit him was Victor, but only to see how he was feeling or needed to know anything. Travis was grateful for Victor's visits, he truly was, but Travis always got this feeling that Victor wasn't completely there. There seemed to always be an empty gaze in his eyes, and his voice never truly carried out his words like it should for most normal people.

And that went on for the past five days while Travis stayed at home and allowed his tender body to heal its self. The one thing Travis never did was question why Victor even concerned himself with Travis. That was the only thing that nagged at him, constantly. But being the type of man that never ask such ridiculously stupid questions to another man none the less, he knew he'd never receive an answer to it.

By the sixth day of staying bed-rid-in, he had became used to Victor and his usual questions of 'how are you(?)', then the normal 'do you need some assistance with any work(?)'. Travis never knew how such mundane could feel nice, or calming. But Victor has changed that for Travis, in an odd sense of way Victor was just as nice and welcoming as he was emotionless and odd. And Travis always answered Victor the same with a simple, 'I've been better' and a coy snort 'this is fairly simple work, took me less than a few hours'. The pride and cockiness always seems to bring a slight smirk to Victors lips, but very slightly. It had become a routine, a small and quaint visit between two acquaintances, possibly friends.

The days went by faster once the two finally got over that awkward hump two completely unrelated people have when they try to converse. Travis was more talkative now, he became so relaxed around Victor that he didn't even bother to wear his shirt on when Victor came over,but he never had a problem with it anyway. And even Victor became less shy, and smiled more often than Travis thought to be possible.

By the end of the next week Travis was able to walk again, though with the assistance of a cane or some sort of crutch. And his bruises were practically gone, but if you poked them hard enough Travis would shout in pain, Victor found that out, along with a right slug to the jaw. Travis knew he hadn't tried very hard with that punch, but there wasn't even a bruise or a red mark across the other mans face. Travis was shocked, but just tried ignoring it, along with apologizing outrageously for punching his now semi-friend across the face. Travis never brought it up again, but stayed aware of Victor from that point on.

Once Travis didn't even need crutches to walk, he was able to wonder around his house again. And was able to visit Victor at his house as well. The two of them always stayed calm around the other, and seemed to already be used to the others presence. Like it's always been this way, and they've always been friends. Travis hadn't seen Victors house since they met, so Travis actually was excited to see the house once more. He'd never want to admit it, but that's how he felt.

When Travis was at Victor's house they had tea, freshly shipped from China. Travis hadn't seen the entire inside of Victor's house, so after their small quaint little chat they walked together inside the huge mansion. Victor talked about his families history, and how his families name was one of the greats in Russia. Travis didn't understand it much, but he listened with an open ear, taking in every word the other man said.

After a few more days of getting used to his healing body Travis was finally able to head back to school. The gang that had beaten him to a pulp weren't expelled, just told off by some staff members and had to be in detention for a month. Travis was upset about the injustice done for him, but there wasn't much he could do. Luckily he didn't see them, and if he did accidentally meet their gaze in the halls of the school, Victor was by his side. It was just the luck of the draw.

By the next month Travis was top student in his classes and had made a number of friends. He was comfortable around them but still thought they were odd and a little off.

---

"Victor, we've befriended that human Travis. Just like you asked us to, and although we don't judge your wise decisions, we're curious as to what purpose this mortal has?" The room was dimmed lightly, with Victorian wall paper and classical furniture. Each person in the room has casual wear on, but all looked high class and high profiled. They each sat on their chairs, holding half drunken wine glasses or half smoked ciggerets between their fingers.

"I understand you're all very confused, but please have faith in this boy. He's not normal, but he's very much mortal. Travis is a boy I think may help us all. He was marked during that fight, by the others, but physically he doesn't show any signs. Clearly we must keep him away from them, in any possible way." Each of the men in the room nodded towards their leader as he finished his speech.

"And by no means any of you better not drink him! As far as you are all concerned, he's mine." They nodded in sync once more before all standing up from their chairs and one by one leaving the Victorian room.

Victor smiled at their leaving forms before leaving the room as well. He locked the door then drank the rest of his white wine.

"They may have marked you Travis, but I'll have your body first," he whispered to himself before licking the taste of white wine from his lips.