Chapter One: The Mansion

The birds are singing now..

Only just a few moments ago was the night soundless..

What is that noise?

It certainly isn't chirping..

Quickly, I hurried off the road and hid behind a tree as the sound neared.

Over the horizon in the direction I am heading, a car roars into view.

Squinting, I concentrated in hope that I could catch a glimpse of the driver.

Inside the vehicle, a young woman displaying a crazed grin on her face with a figure knocked out in the passenger's seat.

Watching the car speed down towards town with its engine roaring along with them, my first response should have been to return to town.

But I hadn't stayed up all night to turn back now.

Once they were out of sight, I stepped foot back onto the road and marched my way up in the direction that they had left.

~

A while later, I come across a large estate with open gates.

Pausing in front of the entrance, I debated whether or not to seek refuge in the mansion.

I checked my cell phone for the time, softly sighing at the low percentage as I checked the time: 6:48 am.

Hopefully, the residents would be awake by now.

Dusting myself off and gripping the shoulders of my backpack, I regained energy in my legs and walked up to the front door.

Upon approaching, my heart begins to race and anxiety courses through me once I notice the door has been left open.

What if those people had been here?

Were they so much in a rush to leave the door wide open?

Or maybe there are intruders?

All previous confidence I mustered up to even come close to the mansion withered away as I silently back away from the doorway.

I quickly scan around the outside of the place and look up at the windows to see if there may be someone inside.

Panic took over as every negative outcome scattered in my head, as I finally decided to leave.

Holding my breath, I held onto my backpack straps and turned-