Cleansing

They were expecting the snow. It's normal there. The weatherman predicted ten centimeters and everyone was ready. It wasn't their first rodeo. Until it was.

When she woke up that morning, Madeline's curtains were shut like they normally are so she didn't see it at first. There was nothing wrong in her world until she walked down to the kitchen. And then she saw it: the snow. There was a pile resting on her window sill, her yard was covered, so was her car. And the streets were eerily quiet. There was no movement outside. Not even any wildlife. She tripped over her own feet in her efforts to get to the TV and turn on the weather.

"- and all over the city, strange, otherworldly snow has fallen. Our sources warn against extended contact with the snow as the hazards of it are yet unknown. Scientists are currently working to figure out the cause of this phenomenon and how to dispose of it as well as what it is. We do not currently know what repercussions the melting of this substance could have. We will keep you up to date with any new information. Back to you -" She quickly switched the TV off as if not watching the report would make the snow disappear. This is insane. We were supposed to be prepared for the snow but- no. Why am I freaking out so much? I am sure there is a logical explanation. She assured herself. It looks like... but no. It Can't be. She didn't want to admit it, but this was terrifying.

Quietly and hesitantly she walked over to her kitchen window. Placing her hands on the edge of the window sill, She closely examined the snow that had settled there. She didn't want to accept it, but it was red. As red as fresh blood or a really intense sunset. She looked up and rubbed her hands over her face as if covering her eyes would change the reality in front of her. It didn't. Deciding it would be better to keep up to date with anything surrounding this situation, she turned the TV back on.

With the news anchor sounding more worried by the second in the background, she made her way to the sink. Maybe some tea will wake me up, she thought as she placed her mug under the faucet and it was red. The water left the facet looking like someone dumped some food coloring in it. The color, being diluted as it was, was not as striking and horrifying as the snow but definitely not clear like water is supposed to be. As she looked back at the TV, it seems other people had discovered the same issue that she had.

"-and it seems we are receiving a report that the rain has made its way into the town's reservoir. Sources are saying to not consume the water until it is official what the substance is." She turned away from the TV again. She knows that they said to keep away from the snow but opening the door shouldn't hurt right? Yeah. She thought I'll be fine. She made her way to the door, unlocked it, and slowly pulled it away from the frame. A metallic smell filled her nose and a strange feeling radiated into her. Deciding against her better judgment, she bent down to take a closer look at the snow. It seemed to be thicker than water normally would be. She wanted to think that the cause of this was some silly mistake like a food color factory spilling but she knows it's not. Its blood. Confirming that idea in her head makes her sicker than she was already feeling. Where did it all come from? Why is it in the snow? How did this happen? Why? ... who or what did this? Her mind was racing and that was not helping the headache she was developing. She ran back to the TV and switched it on yet again.

"- According to our sources, other countries have been experiencing similar phenomenons. London reports a thick, crimson fog that settled over the city overnight. Many South American countries have reported a similar color and consistency of rain falling, and others have been several other similar reports. It has been concluded by scientists that the substance is... oh God... its human blood. They- they believe with more time they might be- might be able to test the DNA to i-identify the people from which the blood came." The reporter rubbed his hands over his face and cleared his throat before continuing. "In other news, sixteen people have been reported dead as of 08:00 am this morning. The cause of death has not been released as of yet but many speculate that these two abnormal events are connected. Stay tuned for updates on all fronts." It went to commercial.