Chapter Four

I sit and wonder about how the dragon could have possibly kept itself secret this whole time since it was believed to be killed over 400 years ago.
"Choose!" It roars. I forgot that it was still waiting for an answer. I quickly think over what to do. Leave now and live a long and happy life, or stay with the dragon and never see another human being again?
I stand up without facing the dragon. "I want to go home." I tell it.
"Very well. Do not come back. If you do, I will not be so merciful." As ominous as it sounds, I'm not scared. I never want to come here again. "Go!" It shouts.
I plunge into the sea of gold and gems and try to run away. I eventually find stepping stones so I climb up onto one and run as fast as I can process where the next stones are.
In no time at all, I reach the cave that leads to the school. I look back and see the statue, a pinprick of grey against the gold. The dragon had disappeared. I turn back to the cave and sprint back towards the school, too terrified to realise that the mysterious door had opened.
I find myself at the end of the tunnel. I straighten my hair as much as I can and head out onto the street.
As soon as I am out the door, I notice something very peculiar. Everyone was celebrating. I try and recall any events that were coming up but I must have lost memories when I slammed against the door.
I spot a colourful poster about three meters from where I am standing. I walk over to it and read what it says.

COME AND CELEBRATE THE 406th
YEAR SINCE THE DEATH OF THE
DRAGON!
29th OF OCTOBER ON TARRAGON STREET

This was Tarragon Street. But it's the 25th today, why are they celebrating early?
Realisation dawns on me. I was asleep for five days.