Episode 1: The Bookless Grimoire

During the Clover Kingdom's skirmish with the eye of the midnight sun, an exceptional magician was born. Even during the mother's labor, the doctor could sense an immense amount of magic power separate from the parent. However, the child's father noticed that it felt malicious or demonic from the moment of the child's first cry.

The child was a girl her parents named Y/N Frola. She was not her father's biological daughter and the mother never recalled who the real father was, but both parents raised her like their own. Through her mother, she also happened to be the current King's niece.

She grew up on a plot of land 850 acres in all directions from the mansion her father had built for some peace from the squabbling of other nobles in their part of the kingdom. At the very southern end of the land was a small village called Hage. She loved visiting Hage, especially when her friends from the village would take her up to the giant skull of the demon who had attacked the village before the first Wizard King (Emporer).

Y/N was always a curious child and got both her and her Hage friends in trouble. Sometimes more than they could handle. But, no matter what, she would be right back to it the next day.

However, around her 10th birthday, her mother tried to keep her away from Hage and in the mansion. Although she had tremendous and evergrowing magic power, she had never been able to call forth her magic. So for the next two years, her mother hired the best magic tutors for each main magical element to try and force her magic to show.

Each one quit within a few months, but they never gave a reason why. Her family soon found out why. It was the night before they sent her off to get a grimoire.

A shadow form of a man walked around the mansion. Every step it took the more subconscious fear was felt by every servant and resident, except for Y/N, who was peacefully sleeping through the whole thing. Some had the worst nightmares of their lives', and the ones who did wake up couldn't move, as if they had sleep paralysis.

It was the worst for her parents. Her father woke up and saw the shadow figure although it just passed by his peripheral vision, it would be burnt into his memory. Her mother, however, hadn't woken up, but her nightmare about her child becoming a demon and slaughtering her old self from the years prior.

In the morning, her mother had cried herself awake, and her father couldn't walk, talk, or react to anything but his eyes were wide open. Most of the servants walked out the door without a second thought and afraid of looking back. But, Y/N woke like any other day.

Her mother cried as she sent her little girl off to get her grimoire. She was afraid that her nightmare would become true, so she didn't want to be there to see it happen. As she left her mother yelled, "Join the Magic Knights, I know you're strong, but you won't find a way to control your magic on your own!"

So, she set out to obtain her grimoire and join the magic knights. She was almost late to the giving of the grimoires, because of her curious nature, but to her, all that mattered was that she made it at all. She stepped in with multiple others and awaited her grimoire.

Grimoires flew everywhere. Some big, some small, and some downright weird-looking ones. In the end, she was the only one without a grimoire.

She looked around to see if there was still one floating in the air, but there wasn't. Someone laughed at her and claimed that she might be magicless like Asta, the current Wizard King (Emporer). She started to cry softly and as more joined in she wept harder and harder.

The crying unleashed a blue version of the shadow monster that she never got to see. All the people in the building were balling their eyes out at the sight of it. It was only there for a few seconds, but everyone had been affected.

Then after it went away and she stopped, everyone stopped to observe a grimoire's symbol tear off. It came towards her and dug itself into the outside of her hand, revealing that it was a 5 leaf clover, but then all but the downward leaf faded. The fifth leaf of a 5 leaf clover stood for evil, so only having the fifth leaf meant that the grimoire was pure evil.

That wasn't the end however on the palm side of her hand there was writing you would see in any other grimoire. It kept changing between multiple different words, but they all cycled. So, in this case, she was her own grimoire.