A quiet night around the fire

*NEXT MORNING- NO ONE'S POV*
Jessie awakes from the large bed Y/n had let her use. Looking around at the quiet morning, the sunlight gently pushing through the gap in the curtains, she stood up. Still slightly wobbly from her crash, but able to stand, she got out of the bed and went towards the door.

As she opened it, sat there with eyes closed and legs crossed and hands in its lap is Y/n's Hypno. It raises its head as she opened the door and smiles. Standing from the floor, Hypno ushers her to follow him. Down the stairs, through the living room until finally stopping at the makeshift office of Y/n.

Slumped over his desk snoring was Y/n. Papers sprawled across the desk. Hypno just walks ahead of her and shakes Y/n awake

Y/n: "HUH?! I'm up? I'm up!"
He stopped and looked at Jessie then smiled

Y/n: "hey, you're finally awake! How are you feeling?"

Jessie: "uh... I'm alright?"

Y/n: "good. I'm surprised you didn't leave in the middle of the night. You didn't exactly seem happy to be here yesterday."

Jessie: "suppose I was feeling a little defensive. Still do if I'm being honest."

Y/n: "well that's understandable, you've gone through a lot and you're part of an evil organisation who don't like me."

Jessie: "beats sleeping on the floor of a forest that's all." She said defensively

Y/n: "well either way, I'm glad you stayed" he smiled. Jessie would never admit it but that smile and those words made her heart flutter... must have been the trauma from the crash.

*timeskip- that evening- Y/n's POV*

Jessie was sat around the campfire. The sounds of the ending chorus of birds and cracking and popping of the logs on the fire created a peaceful soundtrack.
I place a blanket around her shoulders

Y/n: "here, don't want you getting cold."

She hugs the blanket around her and smiles... Arceus her smile is intoxicating.
Jessie: "thank you."

Y/n: "cocoa?" She smiles as she takes the mug and wraps both hands around it to keep warm further.

Jessie: "you like to spoil your prisoners I see."

Y/n: "you're my guest, not a prisoner."
I sit down with my cocoa and stare into the fire. She places my wallet on the log I'm sat on and points at the photo of me and Ashley then looks at me.

Y/n: "how did you get my wallet?"

Jessie: "I'm a master criminal... so who was he?"

Y/n: "my brother... his name was Ashley. I named my son after him."

Jessie: "oh... you have family?"

Y/n: "no... not anymore. My wife, well ex-wife, Delia. This was our house. Me, her, and our 2 year old son. One night she ...she took him and left for Kanto. She changed their name and I never heard from either of them again. The last intel I gathered said she kept my name but changed it, like an anagram to give me a hint, like a cruel joke to see if I would find her. There's over 50 different names she could have changed it to if that's true. Now all I have left are my Pokemon. I miss them sometimes... them and my brother."

Jessie: "I'm... sorry to hear that. You seem like a nice guy, you don't deserve that."

Y/n: "nice guy huh? I thought I was the lowlife P.I."

Jessie smiles as she grasps her mug of cocoa in her hands.
Jessie: "maybe you're not such a lowlife... I think that's me."

Y/n: "I don't think you're a lowlife."

Jessie: "you don't?"

Y/n: "no. I think you're lost. You don't know what to do with yourself. A single soul in an ocean of screaming, angry people with nowhere else to turn but similarly lost souls. Staying together, no matter what that means."

Jessie: "yes... how do you know so much?"

Y/n: "because that's just how I felt. That's why I joined Giovanni's group. I was once a member of team rocket too."

Jessie: "you were?"

Y/n: "yup. Me and my Hypno over there were enforcers in his group. One night we're stealing stuff from SilphCo and I was caught. This was before the SilphScope and all that craziness in lavender town. This is where my ex wife comes in."

Jessie: "did she find you?"

Y/n: "yeah... and she did for me what I did for you. Gave me a second chance, showed me that there was another choice than being apart of Giovanni's group. Long story short, we fell in love, moved here to Sinnoh, we have a kid, then 2 years later she leaves."

Jessie: "so naturally when he saw it was you he was less than happy to see a traitor back?"

Y/n: "bingo. Especially one who had become a cop."

Jessie: "yeah, I guess that would make you quite the target for him. How did you escape after he caught you the second time? When you were a cop."

I sigh and point to Ashley's photo
"Y/n: "like I said. He killed my partner. Ashley gave me time to escape..."

I stare into the fire quietly. The log moves slightly as Jessie sits beside me and placed her hand on my knee

Jessie: "I... I'd like to think he'd be proud of you."

I smile and look into her eyes.
Y/n: "thank you. I hope he is too. Well I suppose we should get to bed soon. We'll need to find your teammates you said about. Unless... no, doesn't matter."

Jessie: "unless?"

Y/n: "unless you'd prefer to start over? Leave team rocket behind. I could help you."

Jessie looks down at the large R on her shirt thoughtfully
Jessie: "I don't know..."

I place my hand around her shoulders
Y/n: "maybe sleep on it for now, you can decide in the morning."

Jessie: "yeah... yeah that sounds good. Thank you Y/n."

Y/n: "I only did what anyone would do-"

Jessie: "-no not for that... for this"
Jessie planted a soft kiss to my lips and smiled then hurriedly walked into the house.