~ 𝑪𝒉 2: 𝑴𝒊𝒅𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝑴𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔~

Place: Timberest, Siog Riocht,
Lilyn's Square outside the gates of Emberfrost Castle
Date: Early Nollaig, 1599

Miri was not your typical fairy. She looked normal enough, a tall girl with dark hair. Her magic, however, was NOT standard issue by any means.

From the earliest age, her powers were rather unique. Displaying the ability to use light, ice, and wind. (Plus a few others little "quirks" her aunt didn't have any classification for.) By the age of 7, she had mastered all of those acquired skills.

Even the high-level healing abilities that most Masters had difficulties with she took to easily. Including perfecting "life light", a skill which only a handful of High Masters could execute correctly, but this small child was able to use it with precision.

Focusing on training the child to control her magic was Nan's top priority. It terrified her to think about what might happen if Miri couldn't contain it. She had once seen a glimpse of the havoc the small girl could cause. Total devastation was the only way to describe the incident. So they worked together for hours each day, training to ensure it never happened again.

This was the reason her Aunt Tiernan was so desperately trying to find her a proper instructor. She was no longer able to help train her niece, as Miri had surpassed her own realm of expertise, and she kept manifesting new abilities Nan had no experience with.

Nearly everyone Tiernan had met with told her it was impossible to master both light and ice skills no fairy had both types of magic. Most of them refused to even meet with the youngling. Finally, the Masters at Timberest agreed to see her.

To be more specific the Masters of King Brogan's court, under Lord Eldhigh of Berwyn's charge. It was then at the age of 6, she had the opportunity to prove all the naysayers wrong.

"Impossible!" Masters Brodie gasped as Miri locked him in ice alongside Masters Elda and Liliwyn.

Gracefully she levitated them in an ice bubble over a light shield.

"What sort of trickery is this?" Master Liliwyn protested as she struggled to break free.

"Absolutely Remarkable!" Master Elda smiled in pure awe and delight.

This had made young Miri smile too.

Well until she saw the looks on the faces of the growing crowd. Slowly they had surrounded them to watch her.

She observed how their expressions changed. In a full spectrum of emotions.. from held looks of amazement, followed by fear, disgust, and lastly anger.

"She's a dark fairy." Then the grey-haired man in the front said.

"A regular child can't use such high-level light skills," shouted a short blonde woman.

"This is an abomination," one woman from the large group yelled.

"Someone stop her!" A woman loudly commanded.

This startled the little girl, who had been so proud of her accomplishment a moment before, was now afraid because of their negative reactions.

She lost her concentration on the bubbles and dropped Masters Brodie and Liliwyn on the ground hard.

" To have such power at such a young age..." he paused "Is unfathomable," Brodie stated as he stood up, brushing the snow from his knees and cloak, very confused by what he had just seen.

"Quite remarkable isn't it?" Master Elda added gracefully landing on the fresh snow.

"The child can use different skills and abilities simultaneously it's unheard of." Master Liliwyn muttered.
Still sitting where she landed trying to grasp what she had just experienced.
"If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it."