CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

VERA DIKEH

I walk to the dinning room in my school uniform still mad at mom for what she did yesterday. I still wonder what made her react the way she did.

She went too extra by ordering Jeffrey out of the house, right?

I take a seat and say a silent prayer before eating. I didn't wait for her to join me and guess what's even more annoying? She acts cool like everything's okay.

It's a very awkward breakfast. No talking, just the sounds of cutleries as we eat.

I try not to make eye contact with her while I drink my glass of water.

I'm done eating and I take away my dish to the kitchen. I get back to the dinning room and grab my bagpack from the table.

I walk to the living room and wait for her to be done and drive me to school.

Finally, she grabs her car keys and walks out of the living room to her car parked outside.

Like seriously, this is how it's gonna be now? Well, I don't fucking care!

Yes, I just used the 'f' word for the first time. I deserve an explanation for what's going on and probably an apology.

I close the door to the passenger seat in front of mom's car. The car ignites and drives out of the compound.

Not even a song was played through the journey. A part of me is itching to say something but I won't let it. I am mad at mom and that's it. She should start up the conversation.

"Vera, what is wrong with you? "

Viola! She's finally saying something!

"Mom, I'm fine",

I mean how can she pretend not to know what's wrong with me? Is she being serious right now?

"Alright if you say so",

Did you see that? She's acting cool? No no no, I won't have this.

"Mom are you kidding me? How can you not know what's wrong with me? I deserve explanation for what happened yesterday. I need to know, "

"Vera, your relationship with Jeffrey has been terminated and... "

"What? ", I cut her in.

"Yes, Vera. I do not want to see you with that boy ever again. You can date any other guy but Jeffrey",

"Mom, are you being serious right now? Why? Why are you doing this? "

"I owe you no explanations. Just obey my order! "

"Mom I deserve that explanation before I can obey your order", I raise my voice.

"How dare you speak to me with such disrespect? Are you insane? "

Okay, I went a bit overboard.

"I'm sorry, mom. I didn't mean to upset you. But can you please tell me what's going on? What has Jeffrey done that you despise him so much? "

"Vera, do not question me. You're not dating Jeffrey ever again. I won't take it lightly with you if I see or hear that you're still with him",

I open my mouth to say something but words fail me.

That's another couple of minutes without spoken words till we arrive Royalties High school.

************************************

At the canteen.

I honestly don't know why I'm here when I've no appetite to eat. Maybe I just feel like taking my mind off a lot of thing.