The Ashen Feather, Chapter 3 - Oran

When Oran awakened, he saw Horus, his mess of blonde locks spilling onto his shoulder. His arm was asleep, but so was Horus, snoring softly with a smile on his lips. He didn't want to disturb him. He had never seen Horus look so content, so pacified.

The night they had shared was carnal and powerful. At times, Oran had worried he was hurting Horus, but Horus assured him everything was alright and goaded him into doing more. He was grateful to have been led by another who had performed the act before. He had heard the priest in the Highwater chantry speak of waiting to explore mutually with one's only true love in wedded bliss. There was a time Oran romanticized this scenario. Now, he couldn't imagine Horus and him having blindly navigated a clumsy attempt at passion. Sure, it was less romantic in theory, but more practical in execution.

He began to wonder what the night would mean for them in the long run. Would their friendship change? Would Horus's hot and cold behavior towards him soften? Would there be talk of love? It wasn't uncommon in Iron Fen for two men to wed and share household, except for those in the noble class. Nobles married for political reasons and to carry on the family name through the passing of blood. The Archmage and his apprentices were expected to fall in line with noble customs. If Oran did become Archmage, he would be expected to marry a woman, if he did marry at all.

Oran winced; his mind had fallen into a rabbit hole. He often thought too far ahead and forgot to enjoy the present. Horus was an attractive person who desired his touch. That was a lovely thing.

Horus stirred, thankfully, freeing Oran's arm and sending a pins and needles sensation through his veins as the blood recirculated. Horus murmured softly and kissed him on his chin.

"Good morning," he said without opening his eyes. "Can we just stay in this weird little snail shell all day?"

"Tempting," admitted Oran. "But I think we would be bad apprentices if we didn't look for our Archmage."

"Too late," Horus replied with a yawn. "You already said I was good. I can't be a bad apprentice."

Oran smiled at him and began to roll out of bed.

"Alright. You can be good in here and I'll get an early start. You can stay in the shell and I'll carry you around in my pocket.

"I don't know if I'll be able to handle another ride from Oran Highwater so soon," Horus teased.

Horus watched him as he began to redress his underwrappings. He looked at him in a way that made him feel special. It felt wonderful to be adored.

They ate together at the table, a meal of dried fruit and rice patties. His mother's baked goods had long been consumed and now they were eating purely for sustenance rather than pleasure. They looked back at each other without shyness as they finished getting dressed. Oran reveled in the comfort he felt in Horus's company, which hadn't been the case since he first met him.  He knew he still didn't quite understand Horus's behavior or motivations, but at least he felt as if he could be himself around him. Finally, they grabbed their staves and belongings before placing their hands on the domed wall.

They recited the passphrase, "The mind is vast. The world is small."

They opened their eyes in a tranquil wood, each holding one side of the snail shell. It was early morning and sun was trickling in through a lush green canopy. Horus and Oran exchanged looks of surprise. They weren't in The Festering Marsh anymore. Someone or something had moved their shell.

It was a curious thing to have happen. While theoretically anyone could come along and move their shell, that person would have to know precisely what to look for.

Oran took in his surroundings. Between the tall twisting trees, brilliant blue birds soared, flying squirrels glided from branch to branch, and sporeous wisps floated like ghosts. The floor was lush with moss and ferns, tangling vines, and berry bushes. Colorful mushrooms littered the roots of the trees looking like an assortment of faerie caps. He had no idea where he was, if he was still in Iron Fen, beyond the border, or beyond Einalia altogether.