Part One

Author's Note: This is a spin-off short story from my story "The Little Things" inspired by two songs "WILD" by Troye Sivan, and "Gone" by Michl. It's also my entry for the LGBTQ+ songfic contest.

Trigger warning: a few mentions of homophobia!

Jack would never forget the day he first saw him. He would never forget seeing that smile split his face as he was celebrating covered in colors. Right next to him stood Reese Mitchell, a classmate of Jack's who used to be his lab partner. Reese was a pretty cool dude, easy-going, but at the same time extremely defensive. Besides the lab they shared, Jack didn't hang out with Reese, nor did he pay any attention to him. So, he hadn't paid attention to the ginger's breathtaking friend so far.

The guy, who was a little taller than Reese and had blond hair, looked away from his friend and his gray eyes fell on Jack. At once, Jack gulped and straightened up, despite wanting to not be seen by anyone. That smile turned into one of smugness and he rose one middle finger toward Jack's general vicinity.

His parents, who noticed the guy's gesture, started shouting at him, but Jack tried with all his might to not smile. As if feeling Jack's eyes on him, the guy looked at him and winked while blowing a bubble with the gum he was chewing. He made better the awful experience Jack had every year, as his parents dragged him to the Pride Parade to protest.

Throughout that summer that guy didn't leave Jack's mind for even a second. Whether he was trying to fall asleep, or train for the season, Jack always thought back to that smile, and that gesture, and that wink.

As the start of the senior year was coming closer, Jack ended up scavenging the social media to find that guy. He only knew three things about him.

He was friends with Reese.

He was handsome.

He was either lgbtq or at the very least an ally.

As he was going through Reese's followers, Jack prayed that the guy was gay. Or bisexual. Or pansexual. Jack prayed that Reese's hot friend was attracted to men.

Jack had figured out he liked guys around the start of middle school. Having grown up in the environment he had, though, he never mentioned anything to anyone about it. He held his mouth shut and drowned in his own self-hating thoughts for about five years.

Mark McGregor; that was his name. Jack hadn't been able to gather much from his profile. Only that he took wonderful pictures and that he was vocal about equality, sexualities and gender identities.

They had a few mutual followers, but knowing that his younger brother would see it, Jack chose not to follow Mark. He couldn't risk it.

When senior year started, the anxiousness that filled Jack up was overwhelming. He wasn't actually sure whether he wanted or not to see Mark. Even if he did see him, it wasn't going to change anything. It wasn't like he could suddenly come out or go up to him and start hanging out with him. And yet, despite knowing this, he couldn't help but feel the need to see Mark again.

"Oh come on, wrestling has got to be one of the gayest sports out there!" A voice called from behind him, and Jack looked over his shoulder to the other side of the hall. "I mean, it's a bunch of sweaty guys rolling on the ground together".

Mark. He was standing by his locker, while talking to Reese, who looked rather frustrated with the topic. Quickly, Jack's eyes went over Mark. He noted the leather jacket, the combat boots and the tight jeans with the handkerchiefs tied to the belt loops.

"Whatever you say, man," Reese said, trying to put the conversation to bed.

"Yo, check it out! McGay decided to show up!" The familiar voice made Jack close his locker and turn to look at his brother. Hal, alongside his soccer buddies, walked up to Mark, all giving off a threatening vibe. With anticipation, Jack looked at Mark waiting for his reaction.