03 | the one in la gondola

BY TIME TIME ELLIOT HAD hailed a cab and got back to her apartment, it was already two in the morning

     BY TIME TIME ELLIOT HAD hailed a cab and got back to her apartment, it was already two in the morning. Quietly kicking off her heels, she slipped her keys back into her purse before looking around.

The apartment was quiet, clean like it always was. A few take-out boxes were stacked on the counter along with several piles of paperwork. All the lights were off except for the lamp in the living room, close to the couch where Allison was knocked out cold. Her hand was still gripping the phone, the other tucked under her head.

Elliot could only guess that her roommate tried her best to stay awake until she got home, but was probably too exhausted from work. Allison hadn't even bothered to change out of her work clothes.

Sighing, Elliot walked over to the couch and eased her friend into a more comfortable position. Allison was a disastrously heavy sleeper, but somehow Elliot still managed to squeeze a pillow under her head before grabbing her one of the spare blankets from the closet. After switching the lamp off, she rushed off to the bathroom and readied herself for bed, her eyes barely managing to stay open while she scrubbed her face clean.

Being forced into a date last minute, getting stood up by someone she barely even knew - hell, to top off her evening, she stumbled into Chandler Bing. Of all the people in the city, it just had to be Chandler Bing.

Elliot could only handle so much catastrophe in a span of twenty-four hours.

Only the light shuffling of her feet sifted between the walls of the apartment, the rest of New York tuning down as everyone started turning in for the night. After changing into her pajamas, Elliot had thrown herself on to her bed without a second thought, letting out a sound akin to relief when the comforter was finally pulled over her like a cocoon.

It didn't take long for her to drift off to sleep, vague images of lazy half smiles and slicked-back hair accompanying her throughout the night.

     WHEN ELLIOT WAKES UP the following morning, it isn't to the sound of her alarm clock. Instead, it's to the sound of the loud crashing of metal.

Elliot had jolted up almost immediately and rushed out of bed with one of her slippers raised over her head, only to be met with Allison sheepishly trying to pick up the pans that spilled from the cabinet.

Groaning, Elliot drew her arms back and scowled at the mess lining the kitchen. "Al, what the hell are you doing?"

Allison, who had already pushed herself up and somehow managed to shove all the pots and pans back into the open cabinet above their counter, merely shot her a grin despite the look of clear displeasure on her roommate's face.

"I wanted to make you breakfast," she explained.

If possible, Elliot's scowl deepened even further, her nose scrunching in suspicion.

"You never make breakfast," she pointed out dryly.

"I know," Allison said while picking a few stuff off the floor. "I just wanted to make things up to you. You know, after what happened the other day."