Chapter 13: "Why me?"

Lukas POV

" Lukas. "

"Lukas."

"Lukas!"

My eyes flashed open to be greeted by a bright blue sky. I blinked my eyes a couple of times to adjust before I sat up.

I looked around, I was in a garden. Flowers of all kinds were around me.

"Lukas."

I looked to my left where I heard the voice.

"Yes, follow my voice Lukas."

I didn't want to, but I couldn't stop my feet from moving. This all felt too sketchy. What if this was a trap?

"Silly wolf, have you forgotten me already?" The voice asked.

It was female. But my mind is too foggy to figure out who she is.

"Oh Lukas. I'll explain when you're closer. "

After of what seemed forever of walking through endless rows of flowers a fountain came into view.

I walked towards it and instantly saw a woman with long black hair, and white dress.

"Moon Goddess." I breathed out.

She turned around and smiled.

"Now you remember. Silly wolf." She giggled.

"Come, sit. I have great news." She gestured towards the stool that sat next to her own.

I made my way over and sat down. Watching her every move, as she faced me.

"I have made excellent progress, and now I need you to put it into plan." She started off.

"What do you mean? What plan?" I asked.

"A plan for all werewolves to understand who their true ruler is." Her voice grew deeper, as waves of anger came off of her.

Not wanting to get on her nerves more, I blindly abided her.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

She smiled. "Lukas, you are definitely someone who I could trust." She put her hand on my cheek and rubbed her thumb just below my eye.

"I need you to miss on your packs run. You have attend a meeting with an old friend of mine. Don't worry he'll be waiting for you. Look for  a run down hut in a field of wildflowers. In No-Wolf territory."

With those last words her cold hand left my face, and she gave me a sick smile before the stool swallowed me whole.

°~°
I slipped on my shoes, as my dream replayed over and over.

Reminding me.

Skip the packs run? For a meeting of someone I don't even know?

I sighed.

The Moon Goddess told us to do this. So we must. My wolf said.

I rolled my eyes. I know that, just, "Why me?"

"Why you what?" A voice asked from behind me.

I spun around to see Lilly standing in my bedroom doorway. In her hands was a stack of folded towels, no doubt from doing laundry with Ashley and mom. Liam had left earlier this morning to talk future plans with now-Alpha Zane. Megan and Luke disappeared  soon after. 

"Nothing." I turned around grabbing my backpack that was against my bed. 

"Where are you going? The run is in a couple of hours." Lilly asked.

I mentally sighed. I was hoping to get out of here without any confirmation. Now it looks like I might have to. With Lilly, of all people, my twin. I turned around, gripping the backpack strap.

"I won't be attending the run." I told her.

She looked at me, then to my tight grip and back. 

She bent over and placed the towels on the floor and crossed her arms. She narrowed her eyes.

"Why?" She asked.

"I have something else to do." I mean it wasn't a lie, but not the whole truth either.

"Like what?" She asked again.

"Lilly don't worry about it, it's just I have something important to do other than the run." I slipped the backpack on and approached my doorway.

Lilly blocked me, "Zane had just become alpha, our childhood friend became something he wanted to be." 

I sighed, "Lilly-"

"No Lukas, what is so important that you have to completely miss our packs run?" She asked.

"I can't tell you." I looked away from her eyes that seemed to almost make me skip this meeting.

"Fine." She moved from the doorway, picked up the towels and made her way down to the hall closet. 

What? Just like that? No, she's mad. Shit. That's even worse. I looked her form putting the towels into the closet and back to the staircase. Crap, how am I supposed to go in a situation like this?

Are you kidding me? We have to go, we can deal with our twin later. My wolf decided.

I looked back at Lilly, I scrunched up my nose sorry Lilly.

I'll make it up to somehow.

With that I rushed down the stairs and made a beeline to my backyard. Hopefully the place i'm supposed to be looking for even exists.

º~º

I made it to a clearing of wild flowers, the sun had just began to set. Meaning the run is about to start as well. I sniffed the air, good we are still on no-wolf territory. Now I just needed to find a run down hut. I crouched on my paws and peered through the flowers for any huts. 

My eyes landed on one, southeast. I stood up and ran towards it. The smell of different herbs, plants, and roots filled the air. Along with another scent, I growled lowly. 

Why would the Moon Goddess send me here? 

I came to a slow trot, the hut was run down indeed. The roof was slanted, and shingles were either sliding off or no longer there. The windows were broken, and the door was closed tightly. Who ever lived here obviously preferred their guests to go through the front door. 

I sniffed the air a second time, ignoring the scent that made me and my wolf uneasy. Nothing else stood out. 

I took this time to quickly shift back into human form, even though I was much stronger in wolf form i didn't want to pick a fight. As soon as my limbs went back into shape, i rolled my shoulders back and opened my backpack. 

I slide on my jeans, a shirt and jacket over it. I slipped on my socks and shoes and threw the backpack on my back. I took a deep breath and walked towards the hut. 

I looked down to see a tattered rug that said "WEL OM" the 'C' and 'E' were to faded to make out.I brought my knuckles against the door and knocked three times. I waited listening for any sounds that someone was here. I mean I knew they were, their scent was strong and their heartbeat is beating. I heard shuffling before the sound of locks being undone filled the quiet atmosphere.

The door creaked open, my hunch was right. The Moon Goddess had sent me to a species I absolutely do not like. They're rude, obnoxious, and dirty. Not the best of companions.

I looked down, "The Moon Goddess sent me."

The man's grip on the doors made his knuckles turn white and his beady red eyes widened. 

"Of course, you're Lukas I assume? Come in please." His raspy voice made me cringe.

But nonetheless I followed the dwarf into his home.