Chapter Three

While in the main room of Ego's palace, he explained where he came from. He said that he wasn't sure where he came from, and that he started growing and growing until he became a planet. He wanted to find out why he was there. So, he created what he thought biological life would be like, and turned into the man he is now. Also, he made it clear he has a penis. Thanks Drax...

  He also explained how he met Peter's mom. Ego explained how much he loved her, and how happy he was joyous to have a son. His story of not wanting to be alone resonated within you for some reason. Maybe it was because you had felt so alone before you were abducted. You'd never want to feel like that again.

  At the moment, you're sitting on the stairs with Mantis and Drax as Gamora tries to get a hold of Rocket. Peter and Ego went off to catch up, you guess. Leaving him alone with Ego doesn't feel right.

"How did you get to this weird, dumb planet?" Drax questions as you look out upon the horizon.

"Ego found me in my larva state. Orphaned on my homeworld." Mantis begins as you turn your attention to her. "He raised me by hand, and kept me as his own."

  "So you're a pet?" Drax asks.

"I suppose." Mantis shrugs.

You shake your head. "You're not a pet, Mantis." You put in your two cents.

"What do you mean, (y/n)? That's exactly what a pet is." Drax says.

You chuckle and shake your head. Drax always seems to make you laugh even though he's not trying. He says the most unexpected things.

"People usually want cute pets." Drax points out as he looks over at Mantis. "Why would Ego want such a hideous one?"

"Drax!" You exclaim, slapping his arm.

"I am hideous?" Mantis questions.

"You are horrifying to look at. Yes." Drax gives his opinion.

"Mantis, you're not hideous." You assure her.

"Yes, she is." Drax says as Mantis looks down with a sorrowful look. Drax seems to feel bad for making her upset. "But that's a good thing."

"Oh?" Mantis looks up at Drax.

"When you're ugly, and someone loves you...you know they love you for who you are." He explains as he looks forward. "Beautiful people like (y/n) never know who to trust."

  Why did he have to use you as an example? Now you feel weird. "Mantis—"

"Well, then I'm certainly grateful to be ugly." Mantis happily states.

There are a few seconds of silence before Drax speaks. "Those pools, they remind me of a time...when I took my daughter to the forgotten lakes of my homeworld." Drax reminisces. "She was like you."

"Disgusting?" Mantis asks.

"Innocent."Drax's voice is low.

He never really talks about his family much. Sometimes he mentions little things, but never like this. Mantis hesitantly places a hand on his shoulder, and instantly starts sobbing. You've never even realized how sorrowful Drax must be.

  You lay your head in his other shoulder to try and comfort him. How can he keep such pain inside? How can he keep it bottled up and show no emotion?

"Drax, (y/n)?" Mantis speaks, causing the two of you to look over at her. "There's something I must tell you." As soon as Mantis finishes her sentence, the door behind opens.

Everyone's attention is turned towards Gamora as she walks outside from the palace. Mantis decides not to say anything and looks down.

"What's going on?" Gamora questions.