magic dance

among horse racers, there's a common knowlage of many things. how to adjust a stirrup, the best ways to read your opponent, how to clean wounds, etc. but there is one thing that is very clear to anyone and everyone who takes a gander at horse racing. and that was that diego brando was a massive asshole. if you were to even mention his name outloud to a racer their face would probably scrunch up like they had just eaten a whole lemon. of course everyone knew he was an asshole except the asshole himself. and coincidentally, neither did (y/n) benvenuto. nicknamed bennie by herself to make it seem like she had friends, (y/n) was a bit on the ditzy side. she was ambitious and loud, never showed fear and often times challenged things far out of her reach. a personality like that plus diego brando really doesn't lead to the best of situations.

and that's where we are at now in this story. after her victorious crusade against the perverted (now tongueless) man who had snatched away her precious savings, (y/n) had retreated back to her horse. and when she got there she noticed none other than diego brando eyeing her horse like it was prize money. and oh did that not sit well with her. not at all.

"hey! you goddam brit, what are you looking at?! keep your greedy eyes off my horse!" a look of shock passed over his features, as if he had just been caught peeping on his mom changing. was he not comfortable with people yelling at him? not used to it maybe? if so he better get goddam used to it, and do it quickly because (y/n) was practically blowing a fuse at the thought of him stealing her horse. as he stood, still dumbfounded, (y/n) stomped up to him and gripped the collar of his turtleneck jumper. she was overreacting, that's for sure, but she was still filled with adrenaline from her earlier encounter. he slowly came back to earth, looking into her eyes as he held up his gloved hands in mock surrender. he pushed a seductive smirk onto his face, one eyebrow raised to make what he probably thought was a sexy look.

"calm down little lady, i was just admiring such a fine breed of horse." he said slowly, reaching with one hand to twist a lock of (h/c) around his finger. she gave him a look, raising one eyebrow. smacking away his hand, she let go of his slightly stretched collar and took a step back. she had quickly realized how stupid her anger was, pushing it to the furthest corner of her mind. right now, she couldnt afford to be disqualified and was almost certain that the officers had their eyes on her after what happened.

"whatever, just dont even think for a second ill let you have labyrinth." she says, pushing past him and bumping his shoulder. his eyebrow twitched a bit, somewhat annoyed by her behavior. he grit his teeth, his shoulders tense as he spun around to face her. only, she wasnt there anymore. he blinked, dumbfounded, before spotting her a ways away leading her horse to registration.

between her fight and that annoying man, (y/n)'s race experience wasn't going so well. but whatever, she thought, she wasnt here to have fun. with that thought in mind, she skipped her way to the registration booth. registration was normal, pay, sign some documents saying that if you die it isnt their fault, get horse prints, etc. she got her number and race commemoration medal and badge before tying her horse up at the stables. everything was going smoothly after she parted with her wad of cash. that was, until she heard a loud noise from the registration booth near the stables. the man from earlier seemed to be passing through registration when another man grabbed at something near his hip. she couldnt quite see what it was, but whatever it is, it caused his legs to give out beneath him. the man on the floor was nervous and shaky as the dirty blond man stared down at his form. they seemed to be arguing about the money required, something about being short 20$. curiously, she put down her brush she had been using on labyrinth to get a better look. she leaned her body on the fence post to get a closer look at the commotion. by now many people had taken notice of what was going on and stopped to stare not much unlike herself. suddenly the taller man grinned, his plaited teeth shining slightly in the morning sun. he gripped the kneeling and jittery man by one of his arms before leaning his full weight on him. she could faintly hear a 'nyoho' from the blond as the shaky man let go of a couple coins. at that point, (y/n) had a feeling she would see more of the man with the green lipstick.