𝟭. | Body-Hunting and Getting Bitten

As Scott McCall is getting ready for first day back at school tomorrow - more specifically lacrosse tryouts - a creak from the roof grabs his attention. Cautious, he grabs a baseball bat and makes his way out onto the porch. He makes his way to the edge of the porch, ready to swing, when two figures appear from the edge of the roof, making all three of them scream in fright.

Finally, Scott realises who they are. "Stiles, Starr, what the hell are you doing?" Scott questions, annoyed. "You weren't answering your phone." Stiles exclaims. "Why do you have a bat?" Starr asks, confused. "I thought you were predators."

"A pre--" Stiles questions, but is cut-off by Starr laughing in disbelief. Seeing the look she's getting from Scott, she awkwardly clears her throat and mumbles an apology. "Look, I know it's late, but you gotta hear this. We saw our dad leave 20 minutes ago. Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even state police." Stiles explains, excitedly. "For what?"

"Two joggers found a body in the woods." Starr reveals, as Stiles jumps down. Starr mimics him, before using his body to soften her fall, making Stiles groan in pain. "Seriously, Starr?" Stiles questions, annoyed. "Sorry." Starr sheepishly mumbles, sounding slightly teasing, as they get up. "A dead body?" Scott questions in disbelief.

"No, a body of water." Starr corrects him, sarcasm dripping from every word. "Yes, dumbass, a dead body." Stiles confirms, before Starr and Stiles both hop the railing of the porch, now standing in front of Scott.

"You mean like murdered?" Scott questions. "Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl, probably in her 20s." Starr explains casually. "Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?" Scott asks, confused. "That's the best part. They only found half." Stiles almost squeals in excitement. "We're going."

✩✩✩

Across town, a blonde teenage girl rushes down the stairs of her brand-new home, wearing a tank top and running pants, as she untangles her headphones. Heading for the backdoor in the kitchen, the mysterious girl catches her mom's attention. "Carter, where are you going?" Annalise Griffin asks her only daughter. "Going for a jog. I need to clear my head." Carter explains, one hand on the door knob, ready to head out.

"Okay, just don't be out too late. It is a school night." Annalise warns her, making Carter nod in acknowledgment. "Of course, not too late." Carter confirms, making her mom nod, before Carter heads out the back door, placing her headphones in her ears. She clicks on her Spotify playlist, before attaching her phone to her phone holder on her bicep. She lightly stretches, before starting her slow jog.

✩✩✩

"We're seriously doing this?" Scott asks the Stilinski twins, as they hop out of the jeep. "You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town." Stiles reminds him, making Starr nod in agreement as they take lead, Stiles holding the flashlight. "I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow."

"Yeah, 'cause sitting on the bench is such a grueling effort." Starr teases, making Stiles snicker. "No, because I'm playing this year." Scott corrects his girl best-friend, "In fact, I'm making first line." Scott states in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Hey, that's the spirit. Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically unrealistic one." Stiles teases. "Yeah, like you with Lydia." Starr teases Stiles, earning a laugh from Scott and a glare from her older brother by two minutes.

"Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?" Scott asks the twins, as Starr gives Stiles a curious look. After all, this was all his idea in the first place. "Huh! I didn't even think about that." Stiles laughs, making Starr roll her eyes. "And, what if whoever killed the girl is still out here?" Starr asks, curious. "Also something I didn't think about."

"It's really comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention-to-detail, Sti." Starr tells her brother, her words dripping with sarcasm - something that occurs often. "I know."

"Maybe the, uh, severe asthmatic should be the one holding the flashlight, huh?" Scott suggests, making Starr turn around to find him leaning against a tree, panting while shaking his inhaler. She reaches her hand out for him to take, before helping him up the hill, as they both lie down beside Stiles.

Stiles turns off the flashlight when they see police officers and K9 units searching the preserve. "Hey, come on!" Stiles tells the two, seeing an opportunity, before making a run for it. On instinct, Starr quickly runs after him, leaving Scott to take a puff from his inhaler, before slowly following. Starr quickly catches up to her brother, while Scott tries to get their attention but fails.

Finally hearing Scott, they turn around, before turning right around again, only for a dog to start barking at them. Scared, they both fall to the ground - Starr on top of Stiles. "Hold it right there!" the officer yells.

"Hang on, hang on. These little delinquents belong to me." Sheriff Stilinski - Stiles and Starr's father - tells the deputy, as the Stilinski twins get up off the ground. "Dad, how're you doing?" Stiles casually asks, as Starr stands there awkwardly. "So, do you two, uh, listen to all my phone calls?" the Sheriff asks, curious. "Well, I don't listen to them. That's all Stiles." Starr quickly passes the blame, earning a glare from Stiles.

"No. Not the boring ones." Stiles explains, annoyed. "Now, where's your usual partner-in-crime?" their dad asks, curious. "Well, Starr's right here." Stiles explains, making both Starr and her father roll their eyes in unison. "Your other partner-in-crime?"

"Who, Scott? Scott's at home." Stiles tells him. "Yeah, he wanted to get a good night's sleep for lacrosse practice tomorrow. It's just us. In the woods. Alone." Starr adds, sounding slightly more believable than her brother.

"Scott, you out there? Scott?" the Sheriff yells into the dark forest, not believing his kids. Getting no response, he turns to his son and daughter. "Well, you two, I'm gonna walk you back to your car. And we're gonna have a conversation about something called 'invasion of privacy'." Stilinski explains, dragging his two kids out of the woods by their necks, leaving Scott to fend for himself.

✩✩✩

At the other side of the preserve, the mysterious blonde - or Carter Griffin - is continuing her jog, enjoying the light rain hitting her skin. Hearing a snap behind her, she turns around, but sees nothing. Slowly, she turns back around, only to hear another snap to her right. She slowly takes her ear phones out, and turns off her music.

Hearing another snap to her left, she turns around to find to red orbs gazing into her soul, making Carter freeze in place. After what feels like an eternity to the blonde, the animal starts running at her. Finally, Carter snaps out of her trance and attempts to run, but doesn't make it very far.

She trips over a log, making her groan in pain, before scrambling to get up. She turns her body around, only to not get a clear view of the sky. Instead, she finds herself peering into the eyes of the beast again, making her eyes widen. The wolf bites her left abdomen, making a growl-like scream escape her lips, before the wolf rushes off.

Still terrified for her life, she sprints as fast as she can, making her way to the gate of her backyard again. After the adrenaline wears off, she finally feels a burning sensation in her side. She looks down, lifting up her tank top, only to find a huge bite mark, making her eyes widen in shock.

She quickly sneaks her way inside, trying not to wake her mother. When she reaches her room, she quietly shuts the door and rushes to her en suite bathroom. She puts disinfectant on the wound, and places a bandage over it. During this time, the same 'animal' made it's way across the preserve and also bit Scott McCall in the right abdomen.