Grief and understanding

Oh wow! Thank you so, so much for everyone's support with my first story.  I have finished my second, which I could say is like a second part...? Maybe? Not sure. Haha! With this one focusing more on more on MC and Shinjuro, I hope you enjoy this one too!!

Again, I'm considering on fleshing out MC completely and writing a more complete story about her life within the Rengoku family. Let me know what you think! Thank you!!!

-----------------------------------

Before Ruka's death, Shinjuro was a wonderful person. He was full of energy, and loved spending time with his sons and adored his wife. The man never seemed to miss a beat to what was happening around him, and he welcomed you into his home with open arms. He came almost like a second father to you, and even taught you a few defensive moves with the sword; something your own father never did.

Ruka, too, was amazing in her own right. Although she was sickly, she instilled many things that she had learned in her life, including how to be the mother of the next generation of Rengokus. A role that you promised to uphold her expectations. She became the woman you inspired to be, that's not to say your own mother wasn't amazing. Your mother was just as inspirational too; kind, loving and patient. But, once married, you would have to leave you family behind, for you husband's. Hence, a good relationship with his mother was essential.

When the dreaded day came, and Ruka passed away, the image of a happy family was shattered. Shinjuro became depressed, seclusive and bitter. He drowned his sorrows in alcohol, and lash out at anyone who tried to comfort him. Resulting in Senjuro being slightly fearful of his father, Kyoujurou disappointed, although he would never utter those words out loud. The elder son still loved and admired his father greatly. As to yourself, the glares he would throw you, each time you visited his room to deliver his meals, or change his futon and covers, made you cautious around him.

The daggers he threw, shouldn't have unsettled you, he wasn't the type of man to be aggressive towards women. Yet, even when you were telling yourself it was ok, 'It was just the alcohol talking, that's all,' the man would snap and make a crude comment toward you. Again, you were convinced that it was more the alcohol talking rather than himself.

It wasn't until your sixteenth birthday, the time for you to finally wed Kyoujurou. That you may have been wrong about Shinjuro's loose mouth, when he drank.

Your fiance came home from his Demon Slayer duties, given a short reprieve for the occasion. Kyoujuro has already received his blessings, to go ahead with the marriage from your own parents. It was time for you to receive your blessings from Shinjuro and welcome you into the household as the young mistress.

Sitting in Shinjuro's room, with Kyoujurou by your side. You posrated yourselves to the Rengoku patriarch, announcing the intention of marriage and requested for his blessing. It all appeared to have gone smoothly and according to plan until Shinjuro threw an empty Sake bottle outside, causing it to smash.

"As long as I'm the head of this household!" He slurred, turning his attention to us as he stood up. He staggered on the spot for a moment, he wasn't in the right frame of mind and we both knew it. But we kept our heads low, in an attempt not to provoke him.

"... She will never replace Ruka."

After the events transpired, both you and Kyoujurou felt a mixture of feelings: Anger, disappointment, loss, sorrow.

Was that what he saw you as? Did he feel that he was no longer good enough for the household, that his elder son had to marry now? And that you were going to take the place of his late wife?

Well, that's what it felt like after the barrage of language that flew from the man's mouth. The both of you were left with more questions than answers.