The Secrets We Keep

15th March, 2143

.I walk into class and everything goes black. Who threw what at me? i yell, muffled by the fabric. Next thing I know, I'm blinded by the classroom lights. I spin around to find Ash grinning cheekily-if a little awkwardly-at me, holding up a denim jacket. I hope you like it, she says, shoving it into my arms.

Give me your arm, I say, and she complies, holding out her hand, looking at me with curiosity. I tug the bracelet out of my pocket and put it onto her wrist. It really does match her eyes. I hope you like it, I tell her nervously. She pulls me into a hug, smiling.

It's really pretty. I pull away, tugging on the denim jacket. It's a little big, and the sleeves are way too long, but I love it. I can't wait to show it to-

Oh god, Cheryn. I completely forgot about her. I spin around, realising she's watching me and Ash. Her eyes burn with a flame of their own. Jealously. When she realises I'm watching her, she turns away, whispering something into a classmate-Erin- 's ear.

Ash taps me on the shoulder. You should go back to your seat before the teacher comes. When I don't reply, she follows my gaze towards Cheryn, and a frown appears on her face. Ah-I-I'm sorry.

I shake my head. It's not your fault. It's fine.. She sighs and nods, walking away.

-

...yeah, I'll see you at Block A, sure, I'll be there soon. Cheryn hangs up and notices me staring at her. What? Stop staring.

Why are-why are you going to the Gov Building? You don't have anything to do there?

She nods distractedly. Need to meet someone there. See you in school-unless you're too busy with Ash to come find me. She adjusts the straps on her bag, slipping her phone into her pocket. Bye, Faye. Remember your Science homework, she jokes, but something about it seems forced. She's probably stressed, that's why she's acting like that. After all, the end-of-year papers are like, what, in three weeks? It's going to be okay after that.

I have no reason to explain why she'd be going to Block A though. Only the most important officials have offices there, someone of the Risks who are important to the Government and they don't want to, well risk anything happening to them. Cheryn...can be unpredictable but....I really don't get it. She needs to meet someone there-who? I mean, I think her brother's an Elite, but I doubt they get to see each other? I know of the cases where teenagers are "recruited", not for Elites, but for "top-secret" reasons. But...Cheryn? Her family are anti-Power, part of a group and all (at least, her parents are), so she wouldn't be at risk...

-

need to move on.

22nd March, 2143

Cheryn hasn't been in school for the whole week, ever since that they she said she was meeting someone at Block A. Life's been pretty lonely, I didn't realise how much I relied on her social skills to mingle with the kids. I've spent break time in class, doodling on scrap paper, earphones firmly plugged in. And there's no reason for today to be different, if Ash hadn't come up to tap me on the shoulder. Erm, Faye? I look up, pulling an earphone out, spinning it in my hand,

what? does the teacher want to see me again?

Ash laughs. Do you really owe them that much homework? she asks, faking a stern look.

I believe I still owe my primary five teachers one whole file of homework that's probably still in a cupboard somewhere in my house? Either that, or it's ended up in my bin. Doesn't make a big difference either way.

Ash sighs in mock disappointment, shaking her head at me. Anyway, no, the teachers aren't coming after you for that pile of homework you owe them. I don't actually know why she wants to see you, she says, turning a little red. Also, nice song choice.

You can hear my music? I stare at her.

Well, it's practically blasting out of your earphones, what did you think? I grin sheepishly. It's fine anyway. I like your music.

I shrug. Okay, I'll get going. Tell the next teacher if I'm not back by the end of break, cool? Ash grins.

Cool.

-

Good afternoon, Faye! Have you had break yet? I shake my head, well, it is the truth, I've stayed in my class the whole of break, if that's considered. The teacher sighs. Are you okay? I've noticed you seem lonely this few days. Is it because of anything happening at home?

I look up, slightly startled. What do you know?

I don't know anything. She looks confused. I probe her face, her unwavering gaze, but find nothing. What's going on? You know you can trust me, right? Right. Like I could trust a stranger I barely know with something Cheryn barely knows, heck, even she knows not to ask about it,

would be nice to have someone understand.

Um, so? I turn my head to a side.

What do you mean I'm lonely? It's just that Cheryn isn't in school these past few days, and I don't usually hang out with the rest. Lonely? I'm perfectly fine.

She stares at me for another moment, and I stare back. After a moment that seems like forever, she nods. You can go now.

She's just like the rest, so easily fooled by lies. if only they could learn to look past the wall I put up for myself, look past and understand.

But who could?