Chapter 7

Zayn's POV:
My fingers tapped against the steering wheel as I drove, a nervous tick I had formed over the years. Heart pounding against my chest as I parked in his driveway, the beat only quickening as I approach the front of his home. I'm about to burst when I wrap my knuckles against the large wooden door. It only takes a few moments before a frazzled looking Liam swings the door open. I stand there for a moment taking him in, his hair is nicely styled, slight stubble on his face and his shirt on half buttoned. Big brown eyes wide like a deer caught in the high beams of an approaching car.
"Hi..." I smile softly as I've been standing here waiting for him to say something for the past few moments.
His cheeks fill with color and he quickly greets me and asks me to step inside as he finishes getting ready, apologizing repeatedly for not being prepared.
I assure him that he's fine and he tells me to make myself at home as he finishes up. I hear his feet retreat upstairs as I stroll down the hall, looking at the picture frames on the wall. Mostly pictures of his two boys and then a few with some people I assume to be his family. His house is nicely decorated, dark hardwood from the foyer to the kitchen, the living room having a cream colored carpet and the dining room has the hardwood throughout. Toys are neatly tucked away in toy boxes and the warm colors make the space feel homey.
"Ready to go?" Liam asks from behind me.
I turn and smile at him, nodding and noting that he changed into a pale green button down and made his hair a bit messier.
"Yeah let's go."
~~~
We're seated beside the window overlooking the busy street below, lights illuminating the sky. Conversation flows easily between us as we sit across from each other. We talk about our families, jobs, highschool memories, and swap funny stories. Our plates had been cleared from the table awhile ago but we hadn't bothered looking at the check yet as we were both to entranced by the others words. I loved how whenever I spoke he would have a soft smile and his eyes were intent of analyzing everything I told him.
"So you came out when you switched schools?" He asks, taking a tentative sip of his drink, deep pink lips puckered around the straw, distracting me for a split second before I'm nodding to answer his question.
"Yeah, I figured it would be easier to start of like that than have everyone be my friend then turn on me if I told them later. My parents were actually really supportive, which is surprising but was definitely a relief when your sixteen." I smile and set my hands out on the table.
"Mine were too, my mum always says that she knew before I did, which I don't really think I ever 'acted gay' but she loves to claim that she's the knower of all." He chuckles and messes with his straw.
"If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up with Louis and Niall?" I ponder aloud.
"No it's fine, I had always wanted kids and I wasn't sure that I'd ever find someone I cared as much for as my previous boyfriend so my best friend Amanda and I kind of just decided to be parents together? I guess that's what I would all it, we weren't ever really a couple, but we had two boys and then she passed only a bit after Niall was born, that was really hard but she's better off now..." He explains with a sad smile.
"That's actually really beautiful." I comment and slowly link my hand into his, seeing if he pulls away or not but he just smiles, nodding and giving my hand a gentle squeeze.
"So what about you, how'd you end up with Harry?"
"Well like you I never really thought I'd meet 'the one' so I went and adopted him, and he's been a complete blessing." I smile as I speak of my little man.
"He seems very charming, I think he may have picked that up from you." Liam winks playfully and gives my hand a squeeze making me chuckle.
"Yeah sure." I reply waving my hand lightly before I meet his eyes and smile faintly before asking,
"Would you like to go for a walk?"
The blush on his cheeks says it all as he softly answers with a yes and we exit the restaurant, my hand still linked with his.