A preformance

Our act was about to begin. The circus was dark and only a few lights were visable. Lady Evelyn, the ringmaster, stepped out into the center of the ring. "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to welcome you to our circus. Puppets and dolls, Oddities, and people who stretch the boundries of human capability. All of that, in one night, under the same roof." she paused for an effect and my partner and I readied our selves for our act. "I would like to introduce our first act, two puppets free from their strings, Marie and Vern." There was our cue. Lady Evelyn walked out of the ring and Vern carried me bridal style to the center of the ring. He set me down, creaking as he did so. I lay there and he raised a violin to his chin, and started to play a slow tune. At the same pace, I stood up not lifting my head. His tune grew quicker and I lift my head for the audience to see the cracks on my cheek.

His tune sharpened and became quicker to which I started to dance to. Preforming pirouettes and jetes prefectly in tune to the music. Spinning around the ring, leaping and stopping as the tune called for it, I spiraled back in toward Vern. His song slowed once again and with I slowed too. I lowered down as Odette did in Swan Lake and his playing stopped. He lowered his violin and took a bow. The audience clapped and picked me up as he had at the begining, and carried me out of the ring.

"Oh Marie, that might have been the best show yet!" Vern said to me. He leaned his wooded forehead against mine. He was about to kiss me when Lady Evelyn broke us up.

"You two did great tonight." she told the both of us. Her attention was drawn to me and she asked "How bad is it?" I knew exactly what she had meant. I sat down on one of the benches and pulled up my skirt a bit. My knees and ankles were cracked. "Oh dear, they seem to have spread a little." she said gravely.

"I can still preform!" I said "Please, I must keep preforming." I pleaded. Vern put a hand on my shoulder.

"I will let you keep preforming as long as the cracks don't get any worse." she turned and walked away. Vern sat down next to me and gently hugged me. He put his hand on my cracked cheek and kissed me tenderly.

"Thank you Vern." I told him. He helped me up and we went back to the cages.