Chapter 81

I could hear the soft instrumental music playing down the hill where all of our guests were seated and conversing with each other while Pops and I waited outside for Mom. We were both leaning against the barn when my father looked up at the sky and squinted. "Looks like it might rain." I swayed back and forth for a moment before looking up and nodding, letting out a slow breath. I took my hand out of my pocket and pointed towards the altar. "We have umbrellas for everyone and as far as I can tell, most of the guests have grabbed one. Hopefully it will hold off until the reception, if we're lucky." Dad chuckled and grabbed my shoulder. "Rain on your wedding day is good luck, son. Besides, its out of your hands. No need to fret on it." I put my hand back in my pocket and nodded. "I'm not really fretting on it, I just feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest right now. I want this to be perfect for her. For us." I felt a reassuring squeeze and I looked over to my father whose eyes were filled with wisdom and pride. "It will be, no matter what happens. Something will go wrong but just go with it because when you look back on this day, you wont remember the flaws. Trust me." He smiled at me and then looked over his shoulder and clapped his hands. "Well, well, who were the idiotic men who let you two beautiful ladies out of their sights?" I turned to look over my shoulder and saw my mother and Breckyn's mother walking towards us. My mother was dressed in a classic black dress. It was conservative and elegant, just like her. She looked fantastic. Karen was dressed a form fitting deep purple gown that came to mid calf. She looked radiant as well.

"Well, my husband disappeared for a few moments and I've had the most awful time trying to find him. I was going to send out a search party but I'm thinking a handsome man such as yourself would be a wonderful escort down the aisle." My mother said to Pops as she walked forward with a playful glint in her eye. "Say no more, miss. I would be honored to hold the hand of a lovely woman such as yourself." My father held out his hand and my mom smiled as she slipped hers into his as he bent forward, kissing the back of her hand softly. He turned and held his arm out. I watched as my mother slipped hers in between and they walked slowly down the hill to the aisle, stopping at the end to grab an umbrella. I turned to Karen and was laughing softly when she took her eyes off my parents and looked towards me. "You wouldn't mind walking your mother-in-law down the aisle would you? Seems my escort is busy sharing a few final moments with your bride." I walked towards her and held my arm out for her. "It would be a pleasure, Mom." She slipped her hand onto my bicep and squeezed, laughing gently as we started down the hill. "I'm so proud to be gaining such a caring and just truly wonderful son. And one so handsome too!" I grinned and giggled a little and looked towards her as we made it to the aisle. I reached down and grabbed a umbrella out of its own little vase and handed it to her. "You may need this. I think I felt a few sprinkles as we were walking down and we wouldn't want that gorgeous gown to get ruined, now would we?" She took it and nodded, smiling. "And one who knows how to treat a woman? Are you sure you're for real?"

"Pretty sure." I half snickered half sighed as I looked to the crowd, making eye contact with Justin and nodding towards him. I pinched myself playfully. "Ouch. Yep. Felt pretty real." Karen squeezed my arm again as I brought my arm back to my chest. "Well, my daughter is one lucky lady and so are her parents." We made it to the end of the aisle and to her seat next to Breckyn's grandparents. "I am the lucky one." I said as I turned towards her, releasing her arm and holding my hand out to guide her to her chair. She lent me her hand and accepted the help. Before turning to sit she kissed my cheek and hugged me tightly. "We love you. Enjoy the moment. It goes fast." I kissed hers in return and nodded. "I love you guys too and I will." I helped her into her seat and then walked towards my mother and father, also giving them hugs and kisses before taking my place on the altar next to Pastor Smith. "Good afternoon, Jimmy." He said, holding his hand out. I took it and shook it firmly. "Good afternoon, Pastor Smith." He gave a sly smile before adding. "Its nice to see you made it on time. I was a little worried I'd have to proceed with another stand in." I laughed and shook my head. "I wouldn't dream of missing this day. Not in a million years." I said softly before the song changed to a piano instrumental version of "Fields of Gold" for the wedding party to walk down the aisle.
I turned to face the crowd who turned to watch as Jake and my sister took their first steps out of the barn. Gloria was talking Jake's ear off, just like I suspected she would. He was nodding and then smiled at her, patting her hand that was around his arm. I could see him motion with his hands just under his knee. They must be talking about Lily, Nick and Ally. I could tell by the look on his face that he was talking about that little girl of Lexi's. Speaking of Lexi, I looked in the crowd and watched her as he walked down the aisle with my sister. Their eyes met when they made it to her row and they shared a silent moment that would be unnoticeable to most but I knew it all too well. Breckyn and I have shared intimate moments where those looks were all that were exchanged. I wouldn't be surprised if we were all witnessing their wedding next. I shook Jake's hand and gave him a hug as he took his place. I lightly kissed Gloria's cheek and she whispered into my ear. "I'm proud of you, you big idiot." I smiled and gave her a hug. "Love you too, sis."
Higgins and Drew made their way out of the barn. They were laughing with each other as they made their way down the hill. I could see Higgins turning and whispering in her ear. Drew's eyes bugged out slightly and then she covered her mouth so conceal her laughter. I shook my head slightly. We were asking for trouble when we made those two the best man and matron of honor. What were we thinking? I smiled when they stopped at the end of the aisle for a picture for Lloyd. I felt something hit the top of my head and then my forearm. I looked down and saw a raindrop resting on my skin. Higgins and Drew must have felt it too because they looked up and then he reached down for an umbrella. "Milady." He said, bowing while he held it out in his hands. Drew took it from him and curtsied before continuing down the aisle towards me. Drew smiled and me and winked before they parted and Higgins came to stand by me with Drew on the other side of the pastor. "You doing okay, brother?" Higgins leaned towards me as I watched Matt come down the hill, holding Thomas in one arm. Thomas had a little sign that Matt was helping hold up but I couldn't make it out. Winnie was holding Matt's hand as they walked down the hill together. She looked gorgeous in her little white gown with her purple bow in the back. She was adorable, reminded me a lot of her mom in that dress. She was going to be a heartbreaker when she got older, that's for sure. "I've never been better Higs." I whispered as I watched my kids make their way to the aisle with Matt's help.