Chapter 005

January 19, 1985
Location; Hawkins, Indiana

-VIC-

It was the next day and I was driving my new car. I was so excited to be able to drive again. I didn't take my car with me because I shared a car with James and I'm pretty sure he needs the car more than I did.

I actually found the car on an old newspaper, and they were basically giving it away for free. So I called the number and told them that I needed the car. And now I have it. I went to the tiny restroom we have in the cabin and brushed my long jet black hair. The first day of school didn't exactly turn out the greatest for me. I was looked at constantly. People didn't really want to get to know me. Many, many of them mistaken me for Lottie. It feel horribly uncomfortable. I just hope for a better day today.

I saw Lottie walk into the bathroom as well. She just woke up and was about to wash her face. "Good morning," I said.

"Morning," she replied. I wonder how her first day went.

"How was your first day yesterday?" I asked her quietly. The bathroom light wasn't turned on, so the room have a blue type of glow. "It was...okay. I recognized a lot of my old classmates," she replied with her raspy morning voice.

"Many people mistaken me for you, and I think I will punch someone if they call me Charlotte one more time," I said with a small laugh. Charlotte just smiled. "Yeah, perks of having a twin I guess, but people will get to know you and you'll be your own person," she said filled with optimism.

"Yeah, hopefully sooner than later, I hate third wheeling with you and Billy," I commented.

"Third wheeling? It's not that bad," she said.

"I just feel left out, because you and Billy, are two peas in a pod," I said. They are like the bestest friends. When they speak to each other, they become so invested in that conversation and they both ignore their surroundings when together.

"I'm sorry, I'll be more open with you when Billy is around," she said, apologetically.

"It's okay, don't worry too much about it," I said with a small laugh. "It's just a feeling," Charlotte just nodded.

-

It was the end of the school day, it was a really sunny day. The snow was melting off but it was possible to snow later today. Charlotte told me that she would drive home with Billy since they have their last period off today. I was gonna drive home alone. I was pretty sure I would get lost because I hardly know this place and how to get home, also Charlotte was my direction person on the way to school today.

I walked outside and the breeze hit me hard. The middle of January was harsh. I was used to be cold because Washington DC had this similar type of weather, but it wasn't as bad as here.

I saw my white beautiful vehicle from a distance, as I got close I noticed something on it. It looked like...someone hit it. There was multiple black lines and a small bump on the left side of my car. As I got closer, it was more prominent.

The car one my left hit my car as they parked. I felt my mood just go down completely. My face felt warm and my eyebrows lowered down into a mean grinch way. Who did this?

The car next to me was navy blue. It was much dirtier than mine. The owner of the car next to mine wasn't around. So I unlocked my car and since the car was parked a bit closer to mine, I let the door go and it hit the car with harsh force. It made a loud sound and it made a small indent to the car.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I heard a boy's voice from a distance. I jumped and glanced where the noise came from. I saw a tall lanky guy walking towards me.

I closed my door. "Did you do this?" I walked forward and pointed to my car's distress. The guy had a purple bruise on the side of his cheek. He had a brown haired mullet, he was very good looking.

"Charlotte?" he questioned. I looked at him like some crazy maniac. What kind of gibberish is he saying? Should I punch him? No, he seems bruised enough.

"Yes, she's my twin. What about her?" I asked him sarcastically. God, you sound so childish.

"Oh, twin?" he said

"Oh, twin?" he said.

"Yes, I am not Charlotte, you...car wrecker," I pointed to my car.

"Says the person who parked on my spot," he retorted. I gaped my mouth. He couldn't be anymore ridiculous than he looks right now. His spot? He's being ridiculous.

"Oh sorry, didn't know your name was written all over this parking spot," I said. I crossed my arms. I sure hope his name was not on the parking spot.

"What's your name?" he asked curiously, he ran his hand through his hair. He is breathtaking for sure. "I don't know, what's yours?" I respond.

"I asked first," he said, crossing his arms.

I had it with him. I opened my car and I made it hit that same spot. I smirked right at him "Stop hitting my car, fine, I'm Steve," he said, getting closer. Steve. Such a basic name for someone so complex.

"Goodbye," I said, I got into my car and turned it on. I then backed up and left the school parking lot. I completely forgot to tell him my name. God, he's gonna keep calling me Charlotte's twin. I turned on the radio and Manic Monday by the Bangles came on.

-word count; 998