Chapter 2: Sugar, We're Goin Down Swinging

Alby wakes up from his nap, unknowingly have slept the entire day away. He bolts up, and looks at the time. “Crap, I’m gonna be late for work! I gotta go!” He runs out of his room, grabbing a cup of coffee that Ash had so kindly put on the counter for him. He bolts out the door, down to his car and starts the engine. As normal, it takes forever to start, but at least it does, at least it doesn’t decide to just die or not start when he is running late. He manages to get to work without a moment to spare, without his boss realizing that he was nearly late. He starts taking inventory of everything in the store and back, and quickly takes his spot at the cash register as his boss walks in. 

“Oh, you are here. Gotten everything done?’ quickly asks Alby’s boss.

 Alby nods his head, replying just as quickly, “Yup, all done. Now all I have to do is wait till someone comes in and asks twenty million questions.” Suddenly, the door swings open, revealing Amy on the other side. 

“Hi, how can I help you?” Alby asks with a tense tone. 

“I’m just looking, but I got some questions for you.” Amy replies.

 “Ask away then. What kind of questions?,” a dead eyed look crosses Alby’s face. 

“You got any Panic! Cds?,” Amy asks. 

“Yup, which one you want?,” Alby pops his wrist, and rolls his neck,

“Vices and Virtues and Pretty. Odd,” Amy gives her answer.  

“Ok, give me a second.” Alby goes in the back room to grab the two cds for Amy, while grabbing a copy for himself for later.  He walks back to the counter to hand Amy the cds, as she is looking in awe of everything in the store. He clears his throat, startling her. “I-I got your cds”, he stutters out. 

“Oh, thanks! How much?” 

“€14.66.” 

“Ok.” Amy hands Alby the money and Alby hands her the cds. “Have a good day!,” he calls out.

“You too!” Amy walks out the door, and then turns around. “Hey, wanna get ice cream sometime? My friend will be there.” 

“Sure, I’ll bring Ash, my best friend.”  

Amy nods, “Ok, see you tomorrow I guess” 

Flashforward to the next day:

Alby and Ash drive to the ice cream shop where Amy and Haru are waiting. They get out and wave in sync as a greeting. Haru blushes and Amy laughs as her friend’s face progressively gets darker. He elbows her in the ribs, knocking some air out of her, and her laughing cuts off. She gives him a death glare, as he laughs, victorious over her. “Rude.” Amy retorts. 

“Not really, you kinda started it.” Haru respones back.

“Fine, if you say so.” she admits

 “And I do say so, you are the one to blame.” Haru’s shoulders shake as he laughs silently.

 Amy shoots him another death glare, as Haru gets the message and shuts his mouth. 

“Hey guys!” Alby calls out. 

“Hey dude!” Amy replies back just as loud. Ash slightly flinches at the sound of Amy’s voice, as it startled her, but she quickly recovers. Haru just waves silently, eyes trained on to Alby, almost like watching his every move. Alby doesn’t seem to notice, why, you make ask dear reader? It’s because Alby is about as oblivious as Harry Potter in some cases.(i’m sorry). After a short introduction of everyone, and Haru still staring at Alby, they go in to get some ice cream. Amy, true to her nature gets a cone of chocolate, three scoops of course. Alby gets a cup of cookies and cream. Ash gets three scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough, Haru gets none, he is too busy staring at Alby to really pay any attention. 

Amy comes up to him and whispers in his ear, “You are so freaking gay.” 

Haru sputters, “W-what are you talking about?” 

“You know what I’m talking about” Amy retorts with a sly smirk. Haru gives up, and just shuts up. 

Alby waves his hand in front of Haru’s face, trying to get his attention. “Dude, you good?”

 Haru blinks, looking startled. “Hmmm? Oh, yea I’m good” 

Alby cocks his head to the left, “Just checking.” 

Haru blushes, thinking to himself, “Holy hell, he is so adorable.” Amy looks over at Haru, and just busts out laughing. Haru gives her the slitting throat motion along with the most dead eyed glare he can muster. Amy thankfully gets the message, and shuts up, while Alby gives Haru the most confused look, and Ash, she is just there watching the whole scene play out, stealing Alby’s ice cream. Alby suddenly looks at his watch, and appears to be astonished by what time it is. “Damn, it got late really quickly. It’s already 7 o’clock.” 

Amy looks at him like he is crazy. “There is no way that it is that late.” 

Alby nods his head, “Well, it is. We better get going, I have work in the morning, Ash has school, and so does Connor.”

 “Connor?” asks Haru in a questioning tone. 

“My little brother, he lives with Ash and me till he finishes high school.” Alby replies. 

“Are you and Ash, you know,.” Haru makes a hand motion, “dating?” 

“Oh, no, far from that. She helps pay rent and besides, she is asexual, and biromantic. She is my best friend, and basically my wing woman.,” Alby answers that question with such ease that it seems like he gets that question a lot.

 Haru stammers out, “O-oh, so you guys aren’t dating. Then what are you interested in?” 

Alby laughs in his head at Haru being so embarrassed, while repiling, “I like guys if you are so interested.” 

A ghost of a smile crossed over Haru’s face, thinking to himself, “Then I might have a chance with him.” 

Meanwhile, with Ash and Amy, Amy just is laughing her tail off at how awkward Haru is. “Is he always like this?” 

Ash asks. “Yup, whenever a cute guy talks to him, he basically starts planning their future together in his head in less than five minutes. It’s  would quite impressive, if he wouldn’t be so awkward.” Amy replies with a small laugh. 

“Ah, ok. I think Alby might like him, just a bit.” Ash quipps back. 

“You think so?”Amy asks. 

“Yup. It’s kinda obvious.” Ash quipps back to Amy. 

“Huh, it really is, isn’t it?” Amy asks, a perplexed look in her eyes. 

“Mhm” Ash rolls her neck as she answers, popping her shoulders too. Meanwhile, Haru’s normally slightly pale face begins to burn a bright red as Alby continues to talk to him, and Haru can’t answer, he is already too in love.  

“Haru, dude, you ok?” Alby pokes him, “You’ve been staring off into space for a while.” 

Haru, startled, “Huh? Oh, yea, I’m fine.”, he then mumbles under his breath,”I think.” 

Alby’s face morphs into one of concern, “You sure? You can tell me, but only if you want to.”

Haru ducks his face away from Alby’s eyes, a blush growing on his face, even though one had just left his face. “I’m having a gay crisis.” he mumbles under his breath. 

“What was that?” Alby asks quietly. 

“N-nothing” Haru stutters out. “Amy, let’s go” 

“Hmmm?” Amy murmurs. 

“I said, let’s go.” Haru says again with a slight sharp edge in his tone. “Coming, coming. Well, it was nice meeting you Ash, and maybe see you soon Alby.” Amy says, as she stands up and walks to where Haru is standing at the door. Alby and Ash give a small wave in unison, as they also stand up, preparing to leave. They leave the ice cream shop and head home, the sun setting behind them as they drive.