Guard Duty

The plane flew for two and a half hours until it at last descended. The dark blue waters seemed to reach out to the plane, beckoning it to come closer to its aquatic embrace. The plane landed with a thud against the waves as its hull and its floats struck the choppy surface. And then, its propellers slowed until they were still once more. The roaring engines grew quieter and quieter until, at last, they were silenced. Tugboats gently nudged the plane to the pier and ropes were tied to the pier. And then, the door opened and sunlight streamed into the fuselage. 

Jose stepped outside first, followed by Maxillio and then Alanea. As Maxillio stepped outside, the gentle, temperate warmth was soothing to his skin. He observed his surroundings. To his left was a towering rectangular building with white brick walls pierced by towering arched windows. Double doors lined the first floor at regular intervals. The roof of the building was capped with five pyramids made of golden glass. A row of bronze pipes lined the roof right behind the pyramids. The building served as the hub that served the airport. To its right end was a clock tower with a white clock face and ornate black hands, capped with a pyramidal roof covered with terracotta tiles. 

Maxillio leapt twelve storeys into the air and landed on the top of the roof. He observed the landscape below him. Behind him was an artificial lake fed by part of the Belmro River. The bluish water glistened in the gentle orange sun. To his left were rows of mountains, jagged grey peaks capped with snow. To his right were vast farmland filled with endless fields of wheat and shrubs. Here and there, rows of trees separated each field from the other. However, what captured his attention, was the city that lay before him. 

Lumagris, capital of Aluminos, was a marvelous sight to behold. It housed a population 910,000 and was built in the middle of a valley. It was nestled on both sides by towering grey peaks, starkly contrasting the white buildings below. The buildings averaged six storeys in height with walls of white limestone and triangular roofs covered with terracotta tiles. The buildings were arranged in clusters of a dozen. The buildings of each cluster were all the same height, their walls touching, forming walls around courtyards filled with shrubs and trees. Here and there, the roofs of the buildings were lined with white and red smoke stacks, spewing grey plumes into the light blue skies. The sunlight that streamed down struck the rectangular windows, resulting in them glistening. 

Maxillio marvelled the sight of Lumagris. No matter how many times he saw her, the city never ceased to be a wonder. He was especially captivated by the heart of the city. The heart of the city was dominated by a sprawling square. Its four sides were surrounded by towering buildings and the limestone tiles that covered its ground was shadowed by two towering arch bridges. The arch bridges, each made of white stone, began at the sides of the surrounding mountains. The bridges met in the middle, entering a tunnel through a central tower. The central tower was enormous, standing 150 metres in height. Its walls were sheer white limestone and a palace crowned its roof. 

Alanea leapt onto the clock tower, standing beside Maxillio. Jose followed her and the two looked at the palace. Maxillio turned to Jose and said "is Emperor Inozio awaiting us there?" 

"No," Jose replied. "My brother awaits you in the square." 

Maxillio nodded. He took one final look at the shimmering palace. Its walls were white with a bluish tint, adorned with arched windows made of golden glass. Its sprawling roof was covered with terracotta tiles with the centre of the roof capped with a towering dome. And then, Maxillio leapt down from the clock tower and raced away from the airport. Alanea followed him closely with Jose trailing behind. Maxillio leapt onto the nearest rooftop and resumed his dash towards the city's heart. He leapt from rooftop to rooftop, his footsteps light and rapid. He weaved between smoke stacks as he headed deeper into the city. He glanced behind him. Alanea and Jose ran close behind him though neither said a word.