Chapter Twelve

Wanting to get this embarrassment over with as quickly as possible, I push myself to my feet and start towards the boys that currently occupy the corner table. Pavarti begins hand out bronze coins to the group and I hear Paz laugh from somewhere behind me. Dean looks up at me with interest, falling silent.

"Hey, care to join us? I can't seem to figure out what-" Seamus starts, getting to his feet to offer me a seat beside them.

I ignore his words, muttering a small "I'm sorry about this" before taking ahold of his Gryffindor tie and pulling him to his feet, sealing my lips over his. He completely freezes at my touch and I'm about to pull away but his arms suddenly hook around my waist to prevent me from doing so as his eyes close and he begins to return the kiss.

"Sorry about what?" Seamus murmurs as he pulls away slightly, smirking as our noses continue to brush together. "That was brilliant."

"It was a dare." I clarify quickly, though I don't step back as his lock around my waist hasn't loosened.

"I figured as much, but you didn't go for my hand this time, or even my cheek, did you, Foster?" Finnegan asks, never losing his smirk.

"We'll talk later, Fin." I sigh, though I'm smiling.

"We'd better." He grins before gently pushing me back towards the circle of players that are now cheering and wolf whistling

~•~

Crawling through the portrait hole an hour later after throwing some excuse about going to the library at Pastel, Lavender, and Pavarti, I hurry down the hallway with Seamus hot on my heels. He easily catches me by the shoulder and we both come to a stop, though I don't turn to face him. Unbothered, he wraps an arm around my shoulders and continues walking, taking me with him.

"So, where are you headed so quickly, Foster?" Seamus asks, trying to hide his smug little smile.

"I was going to stop by the library, Finnegan." I mutter my reply.

"Great. I'll walk you." He shrugs.

"Based on what's left of your Potions book back there, I'd say you should stay away from books for a while. Besides, I doubt you've ever even set foot-." I start, voice wavering despite my best attempts to keep it steady.

"Let's skip the small talk, shall we?" Seamus is quick to cut me off, pulling me to a stop and forcing me to face him, a faux look of innocence on his features.

"I see someone's impatient." I sigh, turning away from him once again and continuing my walk down to the second floor, knowing full well that he'll follow me.

"I see you're too much of a coward to do anything about your feelings for me." He shoots back.

"Obviously not." I reply over my shoulder. He doesn't seem to hear me, which may be for the best. "I'm sorry, would like me to hex you? Because the only feeling I have towards you right now is annoyance."

"Key words; right now." Finnegan calls out to me. "Give me five minutes and you'll be changing your tune."

"You're infuriating, you know that?" I roll my eyes and continue walking, past the second floor and down to the first before stepping out on to the school grounds. The stubborn boy continues to follow.

"I try." He laughs. "Where are you going anyway? I may not know exactly where the library is, but I'm quite sure it's not out here, Foster."

"I've changed my mind. I'll study out here, I could use some fresh air." I shrug simply.

"Why won't you just give in and ask me on a date like we both know you want to?"

"Why don't you pluck up the courage and ask me yourself?" I roll my eyes before covering my mouth with my hands and shaking my head. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I mentally scold myself. Of all the things to let slip...

"Is that an invitation?" I don't even have to look at him to know that he's smirking. Before I can answer though, he's snaked his arms around my waist from behind me, his head resting on my shoulder. Seamus presses his lips to my ear before whispering, "because that could be arranged."

Ignoring the shivers his breath sends down my spine, I brush him off of me and take a step back. Finnegan doesn't attempt to move towards me again and instead seems to be enjoying the frazzled state he's put me in.

"It was just a game, Seamus." I sigh after a moment, mostly in an attempt to convince myself of this. "The dare was spur of the moment and my response answer didn't mean anything."

"It's not a game to me, Aubrey. It never has been. I've fancied you since my first year and I was teasing before, but if you don't feel the same way..." He trails off, frowning.. "Listen, I'm going to be in the tallest astronomy tower in ten minutes. If you don't show, I'll have my answer, alright?"

With that, Finnegan turns and stalks back to the castle, staring at his feet as he goes and I'm left with that same feeling of guilt that washed over me in Potions class when I realized what a jerk I'd been. I do care for the little pyromaniac, that much is clear, but the question is; do I like him as a friend, or something more? I've only got ten minutes to sort it out, but in my heart I already know the answer.