Chapter 3

1974

"Students! Pay attention here. Last five minutes remaining. Stop writing and tie your additional sheets to the main answer sheet. Ensure that your name, roll number and subject are clearly mentioned and all your additional sheets are indexed correctly", said the invigilator rushing along the aisle between benches.

Mallesh was a bright student with above average intellectual capabilities for his age. He was done with his exam well before time and was still busy filling up additional sheets. He could hear a light sob from behind. It was Shabnam. Mallesh looked for any unwanted spectators around and after making sure he was in safe zone, he slipped 03 sheets behind. He whispered, "Shabnam! Attach these additional sheets with your main answer sheet". Shabnam was surprised with this act and rejected softly. Mallesh continued with his left hand covering his lips, "Flip the last sheet and read bottom right corner". Shabnam did it and saw a note written in a just readable font-size, which says,

"I know that you wouldn't agree for this. After what happened last night at your home, I don't find any wrong in what I am doing. You should not suffer for other's mistake. Please erase this off before submitting."

Shabnam could not believe what she just saw. She was in a dilemma. She was always taught that cheating in exam is crime and it would fetch no fortune. But that day, the situation was different. It was survival for her. Failure in the exam, her father would not let her continue studies. Cheating was not her cup of tea. While her thoughts were hovering the messed-up situation, she was startled with the shout of invigilator, "Shabnam! Don't you understand what I said? Tie your additional sheets right now". Leaving her fate to destiny, she obeyed it. She chose survival over her moral ethics. Before submission, she erased the note.

********************************************************************************************

Mallesh and his mother had been living in a small village Saluru. His mother, Kalamma was a tailor by profession and was known for her good handwork in nearby villages. She was always busy with her work and earned enough for herself to survive along with his son. Mallesh never knew who his father was and whenever enquired, his mother would lie that his father was a busy man, working abroad. She always lied to him that his father would come home for the coming Diwali. On Diwali, she would present an expensive gift in the disguise of his father with a note explaining his inability to meet.

Shabnam's family stayed opposite to Mallesh's house and was one of the very few Muslim community families lived in that locality. Her father, Imran worked as a daily labour under a contractor. Imran was the eldest of all his seven siblings and hailed from a small village, Palasa, known for its cashew production. Imran's father, Kabir was a trader and involved in exporting cashew nuts from local factories to middle east countries. He gained reputation for his loyalty and transparency in dealing with local people. Imran was a notorious kid during his childhood and always had bad contacts and got addicted to alcohol at very tender age.

Kabir migrated from Bengal province during partition and preferred to settle in Palasa. In spite of him not being accepted by local people, he gained their confidence slowly with truthfulness, hard work and loyalty. He was respected by everyone for his good deeds. Suddenly, he realised that his twenty-five-year-old fortress built on pure faith was at stake because of Imran. He could not find any option other than getting him married. Imran was married at the age of 15 and was introduced to business by his father. Imran seemed to have changed and was religiously helping his father. Imran was blessed with Shabnam after two years of marriage.