four

...

when amara got back to brooklyn, spot was busy with the young ones, a few of them clinging to his legs like a monkey. amara laughed softly under her breath, picking a couple of them up and carrying them bridal style.

"yous looked like yous needed some help," she grinned, rocking them back and forth.

spot sighed, running a hand through his hair. "lake gave 'em sugar," he explained, flopping onto the couch, exhausted.

amara laughed softly, carrying the little ones back to their bunks. she placed them on their beds, one by one, and tucked them in. it was something she did often - take care of the young newsies. she was one of the only girlsies in brooklyn, so naturally all the boy's gave her the job of being a mother. she didn't mind, but little kids were full of energy.

once they had all piped down and they were hidden under the covers, amara walked outside to the bridge, finding her little hideaway and falling asleep almost instantly.

...

amara woke up around noon to the sound of a cow bell being swung in front of her ears. "what the fuck..." she mumbled under her breath, looking up to see a familiar brunette boy with a grin on his face.

"mornin' sunshine," ace laughed lowly, stumbling back a little when amara kicked him in the knee. "i see the bell works," he grinned as he got back on his feet.

"no shit, sherlock," she grumbled, yawning. "why the bell?"

ace tossed it back and forth between his hands. "seein' if it'll woik for the boys, plus, it's noon, and yous hasn't moved," he shrugged, tossing her the black hat lying on the floor. "yous got any plans?"

"stayin' the hell away from you," amara groaned, pulling her suspenders up over her shoulders and adjusting her hat.

" 'ey, i's was just jokin' around," he pouted, leaning up against the wall. "yous goin' explorin'?"

ace was the only person out of the brooklyn newsies who knew she liked running away. why, he didn't know, but he knew she wasn't the type of person to open up immediately.

amara took a step closer to him, putting a finger to his lips. "shut up, spot coulda heard yous," she shushed him, slipping her shoes on.

ace put his hands up in defense, noticing her limping a little as she tied up her shoes. "ya' leg alright?"

she stopped. "i's fine," she looked up, brushing dirt off of her top.

ace didn't buy it, but said nothing.

tightening her pony tail, amara grinned softly. "yous okay wit' lookin' afta the lil ones if i's don't come back t'night?" amara asked ace, her accent jumping out a little.

ace raised an eyebrow. "where yous goin'?"

" 'hattan," she said simply. "i knows a guy."

"alright," ace shrugged, shoving her in the shoulder. "stay safe."

"god, yous sound like spot," she laughed, pulling herself up out of her hideaway under the bridge and down the pavement, speeding her pace to a slow run.

...

when amara got into manhattan, it was barely two thirty - she had to keep stopping, her leg hurt like hell - and the first face she saw was the redhead's from yesterday....albert? she hobbled over to him, a smile on his face.

"well look who it is," he returned the smile she gave him, immediately looking down at her leg. "yous okay?"

"fine," she assured him, leaning up against the wall he was standing near. "asshole from yesterday thought it was the pavement."