Chapter 5

"Good morning, Rose? Did you sleep well?" Dimitri asked first thing the next morning. Rose had woken to her alarm, read Dimitri's note, showered, then booked it to the gym, arriving five minutes early.

"Very well," Rose said shyly. Glancing around to make sure she'd not be overheard she asked, "What time did you leave last night?"

"It was early this morning," Dimitri admitted. "We fell asleep. I woke around two."

Rose hadn't had time to think about it, but hearing she might be someone's mate had been unsettling. She didn't know how she felt about the whole thing and certainly wasn't ready to commit to anything.

"You must have questions," Dimitri stated. "I have a book that explains matters. It helped me work through things before I declared." Walking over to his dark gray canvas duffel, he pulled out a well-thumbed copy of Alpha, Beta, and Omega – a Comprehensive Guide, passing it to Rose who shoved it into her gym bag, hiding it at the bottom. They'd covered the basics in a dhampir health class a few years back, but the details had been light, and Rose's recall was sketchy.

"I found it accurate, but if there's anything you want to know—about me being an Alpha or about maybe being a mate—just ask me." Dimitri's words were confident, yet Rose could tell he was apprehensive.

"What if I'm not ready to be a mate?" Rose asked, vocalizing her biggest fear. "What if I don't want to be? We don't even know each other."

"We have the next few months," Dimitri replied optimistically. "Believe me, this wasn't something I expected, either. I'm going to court you, Roza. There's something between us. Something strong. Let's explore that."

Rose smiled. There was definitely something between them and provided Dimitri wasn't hoping to claim her any time soon, she was prepared to spend time getting to know him better.

"Ok," she agreed shyly, turning to face Eddie as he arrived at the gym.

"Damn, Hathaway. That's twice in a week you've beaten me to training," he said with an easy grin, arriving right at five.

"Castile? Hathaway? Let's start with a run," Dimitri said with a satisfied expression.

"Why do you think Belikov wants individual sessions with us on the weekends?" Eddie asked Rose as they walked up to breakfast after their morning session

"I guess there are things he'd prefer to work on with us solo? I mean – we have different training needs..."

"Still you got the worst of it. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning training? At least Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon leaves me with most of the weekend free..."

"Don't remind me or I'll ask Belikov if we can swap," Rose retorted, not meaning it. She had a pretty good idea why Dimitri had suggested the time-slots he had; she was willing to bet Saturday nights were when he planned to woo her. She was trying not to read too much into the fact he'd also claimed her Sunday mornings...