Chapter 10

He was staring at me, and I was so terrified I could barely even stand up straight

He was staring at me, and I was so terrified I could barely even stand up straight. He was trying so hard to scare me into leaving, that I knew something really bad was occupying his mind. I wanted to know. I wanted to help. I swallowed loudly, and then I took a few steps back and let go of his wrist. I sat down on his couch, and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Devin, for fuck's sake.."

He was frustrated with me, and I could understand why, but I couldn't stomach leaving him like this. Even though he was a vampire, he was still a person, and I hated seeing any person struggling with anything.

"Adrian, please let me help you."

He had proved to me all week that he wasn't interested in hurting me in any way, so now it was my turn to return the favor. I wanted to know what was wrong, so I could figure out a way to get it off his mind. He was so beautiful it pained me to see him this worried and even scared.

It looked like I was winning, because he took a deep breath and ran his hands through his perfect hair, and then he pulled his chair from behind the desk, and he sat down on it in front of me, leaning his elbows on his knees. He stared at me again, and I looked at his folded hands, and then up to his glowing, blue eyes.

I still didn't get why he talked to Kieran, but I guess it was nothing, and I had decided to let it go. I didn't want any more trouble than I was going to get from this. He looked at me, and he seemed to be thinking through some stuff, so I stayed silent, just waiting for him to tell me what was paining him.

A few minutes later, he closed his eyes, and let his head hang down, and then he started talking, with his head hanging down, not even looking at me.

"I was thinking about the first and only time I ever drank from a human," he began, and I felt my pulse rise. He had only fed from a human once? But he must be several hundred years old.. I swallowed again, and reached out to put a hand on his folded ones, to show him I was listening, and he continued. "It... was a mess. It always is the first time, but this was different. I..."

He took a deep breath, and then his eyes met mine. He was crying. A tear fell down his gorgeous cheek, and I felt tears well up behind my eyes, too, as I looked at him. Poor, sweet, boy.. I wished I could take his pain away, and I launched myself off of the small couch and put my arms around his neck, and hugged him. I knew I hadn't heard his story, but he was obviously crushed by it, so I decided to hug him. The only thing I knew worked to soothe someone's feelings. Well, I had never hugged a vampire before, but it seemed to be working. He relaxed a little, and his hands held my waist.

"Devin... I murdered her."

I stiffened a little. Was that it? Vampires murder humans all the time, right? I knew there was some kind of law protecting us from being killed by them, but either way, it did happen now and then. I swallowed.

"Don't that happen all the time?" I asked, in a poor attempt to calm him down.

"Not like this."