Drowning Out The Truth

A Short Story by Livi Rousse

      Tumbleweed is a fairly large, yet simple town. Most shops open at around eight in the morning, so the majority of people who inhabit the area are early risers. During the day, the streets are bustling with small cars and horse carriages, and the intricate cobblestone sidewalks always have someone walking across it. While many people in Tumbleweed may be early birds, there are many evening events that are extremely popular in the town, such as weekly concerts by the Matsi Bridge, respectively titled after the water body it goes over, the Matsi River. It's a wonderful place for up and coming families, senior citizens, and there are even quieter places for those who aren't into suburban life. 

There are many places that travellers can go to as well, such as Das Modegeschäft. It's a 

 Historical German store with the current vogue. One of the most famous tourist spots in Tumbleweed would be the Seclucan Chapel. It's Feudal Design that largely contrasts with the otherwise modern architecture of the town makes it easy to spot. Overall, this is a very simple town. There are quiet homes, happy travelers and tourists. It's a beautiful spot to live and raise a family.

Not everyone is so simple and content, though. 

Back in a small, seemingly cozy home right on the outskirts of Tumbleweed, lived a train wreck of a man. This man lived in a filthy house littered with bottles. From the outside he seems happy and content, but if you saw what he does in his own home you'll see another man. Another creature, perhaps. Almost daily, he would buy a bottle of wine, and slosh the entire thing down on the same day. After dusk, you can find him visiting various bars around town, chatting it up with other guys, and munching on small appetizers while he washes them down with booze. People would normally think that he goes to bars to have a fun time. That wouldn't be the case. He's made some bad decisions, and had to deal with the consequences. This man did not know how to handle said consequences given to him though, so he drinks to cope.

This man wasn't always a walking, breathing mess though. He used to have a normal life, just like you and me. Sitting on the floor of his home, a bottle of rum in his hand, Eugene recalled his former life. 

 "You may now kiss the bride."

Eugene locked his lips to his beautiful wife, Beth. The kiss was somewhat awkward, since he couldn't relax his wide, toothy grin. His mud brown eyes couldn't stray away from her glowing face. Her ice blue irises sparkled, and her face always had a light flush of pink. She looked way out of his league, but he knew ever since he laid eyes on her that he had to get her.

So he did. 

They married in 2007. The first child, which they named Jack, after Beth's father, came in 2009. Eugene protected Jack with his life. He loved his son more than anything in the world. Being a father was the best thing that ever happened to Eugene. He now had his own perfect little family. The second child, Ben, was born in 2012. Eugene adored his little boys, and he always made sure that he was a wonderful father to them. Whenever either of his boys needed him, he was there. He was always there. 

Things slowly changed over time, though. In early 2014, Eugene started seeing another woman, while he was still married to Beth. She was around the same age as Eugene, and they seemed to click almost immediately. While intimacy with Beth became almost non-existent due to two young children, he was able to be with this mistress very often. She smelled of roses, and her bedroom eyes always entranced him. Every week, he was slowly being lured away from his family and more towards his other woman, which knew that she was involving herself with a married man, and most likely loved every minute of the thrill. More often than not, Eugene had ‘business meetings’ or times he had to ‘work late’. Beth caught on quickly.