Charles

I walked out my first period class. I was anxious and unhappy to be here. I didn't know anyone and no one seemed to be interested in meeting me. I sighed. I really missed France. I had friends there, real ones.

I headed to my next class until I got stopped in the hallway by a huge guy. He looked at me. He had a mean look. He wore piercings and a shirt with the sleeves ripped off.

"Going somewhere freak?"

I didn't move.

"I SAID GOING SOMEWHERE FREAK?"

"I don't want any trouble."

"I didn't ask if you wanted any trouble."

"Please just leave me alone."

He looked ready to say something until a guy walked up.

"Is there a problem here?"

I didn't look up to see who it was but I recognized the voice.

"Fuck off Alex. This doesn't concern you."

"How bout you learn to have some fucking respect."

"Watch it Alex. The only reason we're cool is because you haven't messed with me but if this is going to be a problem I'll-"

"Hit me all you want. I don't care. But you learn to have some fucking respect for Charles. He hasn't done shit to you."

"He's such a freak. Don't understand why your defending him."

"Your a piece of shit and I still bother talking to you don't I?"

"Keep it up and it won't just be you getting knocked out." He said looking very threateningly at me.

Before Alex could respond he walked away. I was mad. Really mad. I hated guys like him. That'd just mess with people just for the hell of it.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine."

"Don't let him get to you."

"I won't."

"Charles whats wrong?"

"You shouldn't of done that. I appreciate it but I can take care of myself."

"I don't want anyone bothering you."

I stayed silent. I liked how Alex was there to defend me but I didn't need it. Alex didn't know why I had been expelled from my school back home.

It was just like this. A guy was bothering me and I got mad. Really mad. So mad I got scared how mad I was. I don't even remember it but I can recall getting sent to the office. Security was holding me down. There was blood on my shirt. People looked so nervous around me and they said it was best I wouldn't keep going to that school. It was later I found out that I broke his nose and he had to be sent to the hospital. People were scared of me. I'm small but that doesn't mean I'm weak. I don't want to get expelled again so I don't make a sound. I'll just let them say whatever they want to my face. I don't want to have blood on my shirt anymore.

"I appreciate it Alex but please don't do it again."

"Charles? Are you okay?"

I didn't realize it but I started breathing very fast.

"Charles come with me."

"I'll be late to class."

"Just come."

He grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the hallway. He took me through a door I didn't recognize. There was some stairs and we climbed up to the school roof. It was still pretty early so the sun was barley  peaking through. He sat me down and told me to face the sun. Wind was blowing and I started to feel like I was getting air again. My breathing slowed down. I closed my eyes and I calmed down.

"Better?"

I looked at Alex. I didn't understand why he cared about me.

"Don't."

"Don't what?"

"Don't look at me like I'm a freak. I don't want you to look at me like everyone does."

Alex didn't react. He looked at me and with a soothing calming voice he replied.

"I don't think you are Charles."

"You don't?"

"No. I think your a really sweet person. Your always with your head down trying to be invisible but I see you. And I see someone really amazing."

".......t-thank you. Your the only one here who's said anything nice to me all day."

"Assholes aren't they?"

I laughed.

"Yeah- assholes."

I looked at the view and it was beautiful. The sun was now out which painted a beautiful picture. I felt peaceful, and even a little happy. Happy to have a friend like Alex who cared about me despite knowing me for no longer than 2 hours.

I turned over to him and he was looking at me. His eyes were bright green and quite beautiful.

"What are you looking at Alex?"

"You." He said smiling