A single black feather

The night was cold. As was most out on the streets of Carnival Row. The alley in where I'm hiding is damp. It's crowded and unpleasant. But I must endure. For him.

My name is Shade Brokenfeather. A name of my own choosing. I'm not a human as you might expect of a man sleeping in a dirty alley. But rather, I am a Faerie. My four delicate wings were currently wrapped around my body. But doing nothing to keep out the chill of the night. I am here by the humans doing. 

They forced us out of our homes. Treated us like filth. I was attacked on the daily. Drunks looking to start a fight. Leaving me with bruised and bleeding. Every night was the same.

At times I thought to just end it. There was no worth in living. A few months ago I would have done it. But then he arrived.

The only man to stop and take notice of a lesser being like me, and take pity on me. To talk to me like another man. Not as filth. He was the only ray of light in my life. The only reason I lay here, shivering. Cold, but knowing he would be here.

Then he was. A boy of sixteen. His tousled brown hair falling awkwardly to the side of his face. And his warm, golden gaze that always warmed me. But now they were full of fear. 

"Shade!" Adam leaned in. His intoxicating fragrance slowing my pounding heart. He lifted my to my feet. Pulling me close to him. Suddenly, the world seemed not so cold.

"It's happened again." He didn't need to explain. We both knew of the Faerie murders that spread through like fire through the Row. I always thought I would be next.

"What should we do?" Adam's yellow eyes stared back into my own blank, shattered gaze. " I don't ever want to lose you."

"I don't ever want to leave you." For the first time my words were the truth. I don't want to leave Adam. The prospect of dying in this broken city, and leaving him to endure the pain. I couldn't bear it.

Down at the docks. A boats horn rang through the empty streets. We both looked to each other. We came to a silent agreement. 

No time to waste. We ran to the docks. My hand in his.

To freedom.