Broken Promises

"It worked!"
The Scarecrow seemed to knock on the castle floor. However, a few knocks later, a trapdoor swung open and a green woman popped out. She said, almost in a whisper,
"Fiyero? Oh, Fiyero, I thought you'd never get here!"

The Scarecrow- or Fiyero Tiggular, the formerly scandalacious Winkie prince, if you will- looked into the deep, dark eyes of the green woman in front of him. He saw so much there- hope, and love, and compassion. Could a wicked witch ever feel things like that?

He didn't think so. The girl in front of him was still the passionate, fiery young witch he had fallen in love with. He loved her just as she was. And she was his- his Elphaba. If that was still true. He didn't know if she still wanted him, even as a scarecrow.

But all his apprehension blew away in the wind when she touched his face and said, "It's all my fault, isn't it? Can you ever forgive me for this?"

Fiyero gently took her hands in his and reassured her, "It's alright, love. You did the best you could. You saved my life"

"You're still beautiful," she said, smiling.

"You don't have to lie to me," he said, gently.

"It's not lying," she said, giving him an uncanny feeling. "It's looking at things another way."

She had turned his words on him. He remembered that time, hardly three weeks ago, when they were together in the woods and he had said exactly the same thing to her.

As they left the castle, they could hear the strains of celebration. Her eyes filled with tears as she heard Glinda's voice announce, "Fellow Ozians, friends, we have been through a frightening time. There will be other times, and other things that can frighten us. But, if you let me, I would like to try to help. I would like to truly be...Glinda the good."

I'm so proud of you, my sweet, Elphaba thought to herself. Do what I never could, and stick to your promise. For me. Let all that is left of me be the carapace of my reputation for malice. To them, I am dead and gone. I want to be alive for you. I still want to be there...

"It's time to go," Fiyero said, breaking into her thoughts.

"We can never come back to Oz, can we?" Elphaba asked, dreading the answer.

"No."

"I only wish..."

Fiyero caught the wistfulness in her voice, and he knew what she was thinking. But he still asked, "What?"

"That Glinda could know that we're... that we're alive."

"She can't. Not if we wish to stay safe. No one can ever know. Fae, think about yourself for once. About us."

"I wish I could," Elphaba said, turning back one last time. As she heard Glinda sing one last time, she thought, Because I knew you, I have been changed...for good.
~*💚*~
Fiyero and Elphaba were living their new life in a tiny cottage they shared on the outskirts of Oz. But Elphaba's heart still ached for Oz, and for Glinda. Even having Fiyero couldn't bridge that gap.

For a past two months, though, she had been feeling so fatigued and worn out that she wished she were actually dead. She could hardly wake up in the mornings. She was used to sub-optimal living conditions, so that couldn't be the reason. This has to be something else. On top of that, she felt a constant, dull headache all the time. She had been feeling an awkward tenderness in her chest as well- around her breasts, that is. As she tried to get up, she felt a sudden wave of dizziness that made her collapse back on to the bed.

"Fae, love, are you alright?" Fiyero asked, as he came up to her and gently took her hands, helping her to sit up.

"I'm fine, Fiyero. You don't have to take care of me," Elphaba snapped. Then, she saw the crestfallen look on his face and said, "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say that."