Chapter 5

"There are three rules you need to live by, here in the maze. First, never harm another Glader. Second, do your own part. And most importantly, never go beyond those walls." Newt explained.

A mixed look of awe and curiosity flashed on Emily's face.
"What's beyond those walls?" She asked, clearly curious.

"That's the maze. We've been trying to escape this shuck place ever since we got here, and the shucking maze seems to be the only way out."

"Well did you try-" Emily began, but was quickly cut off by Newt.

"Yes. Everything you could possibly think of. But don't worry your pretty little head about it. The runners will take care of that."

pretty. Does he think I'm pretty? Emily silently thought.

"Runners?"

"Well, there are different jobs here. you have the med-jacks, the builders, the sloppers, the runners, baggers, cooks, track-hoes, and slicers. Don't worry, you'll get to try all of the jobs and you'll be assigned the one that you're best at."

Emily nodded slowly, still trying to take everything in.

"So... what now?"

The sky started to turn dark, and a few Gladers celebrated at the thought of dinner.

"Dinner?" Newt offered.

Dinner was roast beef with carrots and potatoes, and it was the best meal Emily felt she had ever eaten.

"Slow down there shank, you don't wanna choke and kill yourself there." Minho laughed.

Emily was seated at a random corner of the Glade with Minho, Newt and Thomas. 

The sandy blonde eyed Minho suspiciously, a tinge of jealously apparent in his eyes.

Emily brushed the comment aside and thought nothing of it. She was starved. 

"This is really good!" She said, her mouth stuffed with potatoes. 

A small smile of amusement crept up Newt's face. 

After dinner, Newt decided to take her for a walk around the Glade.

"It really gets cold in here at night." Emily shuddered as she looked up at the starry sky. 

Newt snuck an uncertain glance at her, then before he could change his mind, he put his arm over her shoulder, pulling her closer to him. 

Emily was so grateful that it was dark because her face was redder than Frypan's carrots.

They walked until they reached the deadheads, and rested at one of the sickly benches. 

"How long have you guys been here? And why are there no girls?" Emily asked, inching closer to Newt due to the cold wind. 

"A couple of years, but as long as there's order, it's fine. These shanks have just got to keep themselves busy, because when you're busy, you don't think about how long you've been stuck here - or any other.. depressing thoughts for that matter."

"I wonder what my life was like... or if I have any family, or boyfriend, and if they're missing me..." Emily said to no one in particular, the overwhelming sense of homesickness starting to get to her. 

She took a deep breath, but couldn't cotain the tears that were already threatening to spill over.

Newt pulled her close to him, kissing the top of her head in an effort to comfort her. 

"It's okay Em, we'll find a way to get out of here."

Emily nodded and apologised for her sudden breakdown.

"I just.. I guess I just feel lonely here."

Newt tilted her chin up so that her greenish-golden eyes reflected his deep black ones.

"You're not alone. You have me."