Chapter Five: Family Links

The place was alive with noise. There was something about the atmosphere that had Hal's blood singing. He craved the action, craved the fight that the ring promised, but knew that they weren't there for that. It was one of the things he'd have to find an outlet for soon. Maybe a place like this wouldn't be so bad.

'He's off the bloody rails, is what he is,' said John as they walked through the Warehouse, towards where the fight was meant to be happening. 'If he'll turn nose on his best mate...' His attention skimmed ever so slightly towards Hal.

'I went and got him,' Hal said softly, turning his attention towards the ring, where the fight was already happening; figures blurred by movement and the roaring crowd. 'That's it. And Tommy went with you. Think I did it?' There was a sliver of ice behind his voice, one that he'd tried to keep back for the past couple of hours. Since the speculations had started into how Freddie Thorne had been arrested at the birth of his own kid.

He knew John meant little by the accusation, it was his own fears taking the reins, but that didn't stop it from smarting ever so slightly.

'It was bloody neighbours, John,' insisted Arthur. 'Snitch behind the curtain.'

'Yeah, well if you think that, you're the only one that does,' murmured John.

'Look at this,' said Arthur, swiftly changing the conversation before Hal could mention his own thoughts. 'Look. Bloody raking it in. Who's running this carny?' He turned his attention to Johnny Dogs as they reached his little group.

'Name of Marston,' Johnny told them, rattling off the facts. 'Intends on wintering in Small Heath with this ring.'

'Does he!' said Arthur, starting towards the ring once more.

'Ain't he heard nobody in Small Heath craps in a pot without the decree of Tommy Almighty?'

'John,' complained Hal softly. He knew that his friend was having issues with his older brother, knew that the whole arranged marriage must have still been lingering at the edges of his mind, it was certainly still souring some of Hal's thoughts, no matter how well Esme and John got on. No matter how many times Cecily seemed to smile when she spoke of the woman and how she calmed the kids. 'And how do we know Tommy doesn't know?'

The flicker of an old smirk on John's face was enough to reassure Hal things weren't so bad.

'Mr. Marston, I believe? The ringmaster?' Arthur said in lieu of greeting, his voice rising above the ruckus of the fight itself. This side of the ring was darker than the other, as if the leaders didn't want to see what was going on. Or, they didn't want people seeing them.

'Proud I am to say so,' Marston said as Arthur stood directly in front of him. Hal tucked his hands into his pockets, watching on. But his gaze kept flicking around to the others, trying to see if they were preparing to defend their boss or not. Did they even know who they were dealing with?

'Yeah, well, these here are civilised parts,' Arthur said, reaching down to grab himself a drink of whiskey. 'Man wants to set his stall up with fellas lamping each other, he needs himself a licence.'

'A licence?' asked Marston, and the fear behind his eyes was obvious. It seemed to make his ruddy cheeks stand out a little more.

'For a fee. From those in charge,' Arthur went on, pouring the alcohol on the floor as a cheer went up from the ring.

'I'll tell you what,' Marston tried to reason. 'How about I keep my money, and you shove a licence up your arsecrack?'

Hal let out a low whistle, exchanged a small smirk with John.