Chapter 9 (The Day of Reckoning)

The plan seemed to be going without a hitch. Charli and Charles had set numerous traps and started spreading misinformation. Penny was finally able to take revenge for her family. Priscilla was not surprised that Thomas turned against her, but she was not expecting a human hiding in the dark to stab in the heart with a wooden stake. With Thomas by her side and Priscilla dead, Penny felt a sense of peace she had not known in over a year.

"Everybody ready?" Thomas said into his microphone. It was 4:30 and he and Penny were just inside the main door to the sanctuary. A chorus of yeses resounded through his ear piece. "Good, because as soon as the traps start to spring we need to get out of here."

The other three waited in a side passage that came out closer to the field, but Thomas wanted to sabotage the front door, and a vampire was needed for that.

"Fine," Charlotte said. "Let's just get this over with and get out of here."

"Okay, let's get the show on the road," Thomas said to the group. At Thomas's word, Charles set in motion a series of traps around the sanctuary. Thomas and Penny strolled up to the guards at the front gate.

"Hi, guys," Thomas said, keeping a conversational tone. "I was wondering if you could do me a huge favor?" Thomas leaned against the wall.

"Yes, sir," a guard said. They were on full alert and prepared to follow any order from their commander.

"Good. I've been told that there are two Brotherhood scouts that are just by the gates. Do you think that you could step out for just a minute and take care of it?" At that moment, there was an explosion in the center of the Sanctuary. The first of the twins' mischief had begun.

"What was that?" one of the guards asked.

"The Brotherhood must be causing problems already," Thomas said in an excited tone. "Take out those scouts. My thrall and I will watch here." Penny didn't exactly like being called a thrall, but it was fun to see Thomas expertly manipulate the vampires.

When the guards were outside, Thomas permanently disabled the gate and its associated charms. Anyone would be able to enter now, so even the vampires that didn't pursue the family would be left vulnerable to attack.

Thomas grasped Penny securely in his arms and ran with every ounce of his vampire energy. Even though Penny knew the danger of the moment, she still relished being buried in Thomas's chest. They fled the sanctuary knowing that a horde a vampires would be only minutes behind them. Hopefully they would have enough luck and talent to be able to take out both sides: the Brotherhood and the Wolf family's coven.

Crouching down at the edge of the clearing, Penny kept her back tight against Thomas. She kept her weapon ready in her sweaty hands, waiting.

Her earpiece suddenly hissed to life in her ear. "The coven approaches," Charles whispered.

And right after that transmission, Charli, on the other side of them, let everyone know, "So does the Brotherhood. And they don't look happy."

"Do they ever?" Thomas joked. Penny laughed and wondered how he could keep a sense of humor at a time like this.

Behind them, the Djinn leaned in between them. "I don't suppose we could just let them beat on each other? Work this out with their own fists and teeth?"

Penny still wasn't sure what to make of the Djinn. The fact that he had filled her shoes with strawberry Jello didn't really help her opinion of him.

"No, it wouldn't work," Thomas explained. "They won't stop until they get to us."

Mr. Wolf waved to them from across the clearing, behind two birch trees. The groups were getting close.

"You remember what to do?" Thomas said. Penny could hear the concern for her behind his words.