thirty-five ☆ i'm scared

DECEMBER

narrator's pov:

silently, jonah and waverly walked back to their hotel room. they both took quick showers, changed into their sleepwear, and tucked themselves in bed.

"um, jonah?" waverly mumbled.

"yeah?" he replied.

"uh, about what you said in the hot tub," waverly brought up, "was it true?"

after a few seconds, jonah answered, "yes, waverly, it was all true."

"really? i had no idea you felt that way," waverly mentioned, turning her body to face jonah.

"yeah, i was in love with you for years," jonah added.

"i'm sorry about what's going on with jack and me, i should've thought about you," waverly apologized, making eye contact with jonah.

"it's fine," jonah acknowledged, "i want you to be happy, waverly, even if it's not with me."

waverly slightly smiled, but still felt off.

"but, i just want you to know that i was in love with you before him," jonah remarked.

waverly nodded, "goodnight, jonah."

"goodnight, waverly," jonah replied, turning off the light.

-

as most people went to bed, lillian was still scrambling around the hotel in search for her boyfriend. she continuously went up and down the elevators hoping she'd find corbyn.

"lily, is that you?" zach yawned, stepping out of his hotel room.

"yes, it's me, zach," lillian replied.

"it's almost four in the morning, why are you still up?" zach asked, rubbing his eyes.

"the real question is... why are you still up?" lillian asked back.

"well, i heard running from upstairs, so i woke up," zach answered, leaning against the door, "have you and corbyn talked?"

"that's exactly why i'm still up," lillian sighed, "i've been running all around the hotel looking for him."

"have you tried the balcony?" zach suggested.

lillian's head shot up, "there's a balcony?"

"yup, and in fact, it's super cozy up there because there's a bunch of couches and string lights," zach added, "i'd assume corbyn is there because you guys have your i love you to the stars and back saying."

"zach, you're a genius!" lillian remarked.

she ran back towards the elevator, but turned around to face zach, "no offense, but i never thought i'd call you a genius."

"me either," zach agreed, "night, lily, i hope you and corbyn work things out."

lillian smiled, and walked into the elevator. she pressed the button for the sixth floor, and was anxious to see if corbyn would be there. she opened the doors to the balcony, and there he was. corbyn was bundled up in his winter jacket, and leaning towards the edge of the balcony. he was staring at the ground beneath him, and watched the snow fall.

"corbyn?" lillian whispered.

the blonde turned his head, "lillian?"

"can we talk?" lillian asked.

"about how you don't love me?" corbyn brought up, shrugging his shoulders.

"come on, don't be like that," lillian sighed, "there's some things you don't know."

"then tell me, lillian! i thought i knew you, but it turns out that i really don't. there's so much that i'm unaware of, and as your boyfriend, i wish i knew more about you," corbyn explained, "so, please tell me what's going on? i'm begging you."

the desperation in corbyn's voice made lillian's throat tighten. they both sat down, and lillian was finally ready to tell him the truth.

"do you know the guy that chloe is talking to?" lillian queried.

"ethan jalens? what about him?" corbyn asked.

"he's, u-um," lillian stuttered, "ethan jalens is my ex-boyfriend."

"oh," corbyn mumbled, "wait, what does he have to do with this?"

"well, ethan and i started dating the summer before junior year. i was so in love with him, and we were pretty much inseparable. i thought he loved me too, but it turned out he only loved the idea of having me around," lillian explained, "he was cheating on me the entire time with some girl from westford high."

"lily pad, i'm so sorry," corbyn apologized, holding her cold hands.

"it's not your fault," lillian replied, "he pretty much took away all my firsts. first date, first boyfriend, first kiss, first make-out, first hand-hold, first time."

"oh, that's why you put down a finger during the if you've ever had sex question," corbyn pointed out, "and why you put down a finger if you've ever loved someone you shouldn't have."

"yeah, but ethan caused me a ton of emotional and mental trauma. when i found out he cheated, my heart dropped. it felt like the whole world was crumbling, and i couldn't breathe. he was such a staple in my life, and it turned out i was just useless to him. it took months to recover, and i'm still not completely over everything that happened. it hurts to think about it," lillian added, a tear falling.

immediately, corbyn was reminded of the bet. he didn't want lillian to ever find out the real reason why their relationship started.

"i'm sorry, corbyn, but that's why i don't love you," lillian declared, "the truth is that i'm scared. i'm completely terrified to love again. yes, you treat me so well, but i'm so afraid of love and putting all my heart into someone."

"what about our saying?" corbyn inquired.

"technically, i'm the one who says to the stars and back. you're the one who says i love you," lillian pointed out.

corbyn sighed, "lily pad, i'm so sorry about everything that happened. an amazing girl like you doesn't deserve that, and i don't know if this helps at all, but i am truly in love with you. i love you so much, lillian."

at that moment, the brunette felt content. for the first time in a while, she did feel like she was in love.

"i love you too, corbyn," lillian whispered.

"wait, what?" corbyn inquired.

"i-i love you. i love you. i love you!" lillian remarked, jumping up and down.

"wait, you love me?" the blonde questioned, his smile stretching across for miles.

"yes, corbyn, i love you! i love you so much," lillian gushed, engulfing him in a hug, "i truly mean it, and this time, i'm not scared. i'm in love with you, corbyn besson."

corbyn picked up his girlfriend, and spun her under the night sky. he leaned down, and made contact with her plump lips. the two kissed for the first time under the starry night.

"i love you," lillian whispered, her head laying on corbyn's chest.

"to the stars and back," corbyn remarked.

...

a / n :

this chapter has me emotional ):

to sum up everything, you all know the truth about ethan jalens, lillian realized she loves corbyn, and the two finally kissed.