Chapter 16 - Family, Facades and Friendship - Part 2

"Your... granddaughter?" I said, feeling my jaw fall open.

I looked between Lucian and Adeline, who had now moved away towards the kitchen, trailing her fingers along the wall until she reached the countertop.

Lucian looked not a day older than Adeline herself, no more than thirty.

Then I remembered he was a vampire. Time worked a little differently for them.

I closed my jaw.

"Papi," Adeline said, smiling back at Lucian. "I think you and Tori should come and sit down. I've just put some water on to boil for tea. Shep darling, could you come and finish cutting these vegetables for me?"

Gently I was coaxed into a comfortable armchair by the empty hearth.

"This is what I was going to tell you," Lucian said, taking the seat opposite and placing the tiny Gabrielle onto the rug between his knees where a collection of paper and crayons were strewn. She began to draw, quite contented. "This is my secret, Tori."

"I can see why you kept this a secret," I said, looking around the room. "Lucian, this is... very... extremely illegal."

He nodded, solemnly, running his hand protectively through Gabrielle's hair.

I knew that vampire-human relations were taboo amongst vampires. It wasn't unheard of for vampires and humans to sleep together. I knew there were places in the city - brothels and pleasure gardens - which catered to those vampiric tastes, but the idea of a human and a vampire having a family together was akin to sacrilege in this world. 

Vampire blood was sacred. To dirty it by mixing it with a human's was an unspeakable sin.

The amount of trust Lucian had just shown by trusting me with this secret was phenomenal.

Now I finally understood. I understood why Lucian was so keen to keep his presence in the Quarter a secret, why he was so anxious about bringing me here.

Anyone with half a brain would want to make sure no one knew about this. Not ever.

It was an earth-shattering secret.

If this ever got out...

I couldn't even begin to imagine what would happen to Lucian and his family. Most likely they would be killed immediately. No trial, no jury of peers, no prison. Just a quick and merciless end in a very public way to dissuade anyone else who may be harbouring similar unspoken intentions.

The stress and pressure this must have put Lucian under. How long had he borne this secret alone? How long had he lived in fear for his family's safety? Fifty years? Sixty years? I was surprised it hadn't given him grey hairs.

Adaline came over then carrying a pot of tea and a collection of cups on a tray. She might be blind but she knew where everything was. She moved with practised ease through the room, which was astonishing partly because of her blindness, but mostly due to her state of pregnancy. I didn't think I would ever be able to move that gracefully.

"Sorry for barging in like this uninvited Adeline," I said, taking a cup.

"It's not a problem, Tori," Adeline said, pouring tea and handing it to Lucian. "We don't get a lot of visitors. It makes a nice change."

"You have a lovely home."

Adeline smiled. "We've always managed. Papi makes sure we're alright."

"Adeline," Lucian chastised gently.

"Well, it's true. You're so good to us."

He definitely was.

I hadn't noticed at first but the clothes Adeline, Shepherd and Gabrielle wore, though far from fine or luxurious, were well kept, impeccably clean and didn't have a patch on them. The McCallisters were lean, like all the humans in the slums, but were by no means emaciated. The house, though no lavishly decorated or ostentatious, was warm and full. The furniture was well made, the floors were hardwood, not packed earth covered in rush mats as much of the rest of the Quarter housing was. An iron stove stood in the corner of the kitchen with a large pile of wood and coal in baskets by the door. There were vegetables and fruit on the kitchen table and I could see jars of preserves and jams in the open cupboard above the sink.