PROLOGUE

Derry, Maine 1962

Derry, Maine 1962

THEY say Nancy Carrow had always been a bit of an odd child.

For example: unlike the rest of the children in the small town of Derry, Nancy absolutely loved clowns. With their bright, happy make-up, wonderful party tricks, and bouquets of balloons, she couldn't see why anyone would be scared of them. After all, they were only there to make you happy.

But on that fateful day, not even her favorite clown, could cheer her up.

Because Nancy was sick.

Deathly ill and dying from a rare form of brain cancer, the little girl only had a couple months left. She tugged her beanie cap down around her bald head, wary of other people's stares as she trudged behind her parents.

The carnival was supposed to be a gift, one given to her by her mother and father to make themselves feel better, to ease the burden of guilt in their hearts. They'd never given their daughter the love and attention she deserved, forcing her to seek out other sources of affection.

Which led to her discovery of Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

"Here honey," Nancy's mother handed her a five-dollar bill, "Go get some popcorn and meet us by the roller coaster."

The woman gave her a strained smile as her father watched with a pitiful look in his eyes.

"Thanks mommy," Nancy replied half-heartedly, running off with the money clutched tightly in her fist.

She weaved through the crowds of people, parents laughing with their children and enjoying the warm August sunshine. The sight brought her a pang of disappointment. Why couldn't mommy and daddy be like that?

"Nancy."

She heard a voice say behind her, jovial with a slight rasp. A voice she knew all too well.

The little girl turned around to see Pennywise standing against one of the carnival buildings, half hidden in shadows, his yellow eyes gleaming.

Instantly, a grin formed on her face. The clown and her had met just a few months ago when she was riding her bike past the house on Neibolt street. Even since then, they'd become the best of friends. Nancy found he was the only she could ever really talk to.

"Pennywise!" She exclaimed gleefully, skipping over to the secluded area.

He giggled, maniacal in nature, before saying, "I have something for you!"

Nancy clapped excitedly, as he pulled out a shiny, red balloon from behind his back. She took it, looking up at the gift in awe.

"It's beautiful, thank you!" The little girl smiled, hugging it close to her body. But only after a moment, her grin disappeared.

"What's the matter, Nancy? Don't you want to play again?" Pennywise frowned, disappointment edged into his tone.

"Of course, I do, Pennywise. I just..." She trailed off sadly, "I'm sick."

"Sick?" He blinked several times, feigning surprise, "Well with some medicine, I'm sure you'll feel all better!"

"No, I'm really sick," Nancy repeated in a pouty voice, "Mommy and daddy say there's no medicine for it."

The clown stared at her as she stopped talking, his eyes slowly un-focusing and a small drop of saliva hanging from his lips. To anyone else, the awkward silence would've been enough to set them on edge, his facial expression causing discomfort. But she wasn't bothered by it one bit.

"Well, I can fix you right up, Nancy," Pennywise suddenly said, snapping out of his trance with a grin.

"Really?" She asked hopefully, her eyes sparkling.

This time, his voice wasn't so light-hearted, a dark undertone to it, "Really."

Nancy didn't notice however, "Well, where is it, where's the medicine?"

"Oh it's right here," Pennywise assured her, and then added, "But it'll cost you something."

She cocked her head to the side, before glancing down to the money in her hand.

"Will this be enough?" Nancy asked, holding out the bill to him.

The clown smiled, though for an all too different reason than the child's own ignorance.

"We don't have to worry about that right now," Pennywise answered with another giggle, rubbing his hands together, "Are ya ready Nancy?"

The girl looked at him before glancing over at her parents. The two of them were leaning against a carnival stall, looking uninterested in the bright festivities around them.

A shadow of sadness crossed her gaze, "If I'm not sick anymore, do you think mommy and daddy will love me again?"

The clown grinned again, lowering his face so those sparkling yellow orbs were staring harshly at her.

"Of course they will," IT practically growled.

For a moment, only a fleeting moment, a small flash of fear sent shivers down Nancy's spine.

She quickly brushed it away though. This was Pennywise the Dancing Clown! Her only friend in all of Derry. Why should she be afraid of him?

The girl took a deep, steadying breath.

"Then I'm ready," She squared her shoulders, her dark eyes meeting the clown's own.

The smile slowly disappeared from IT's features. There were a few moments of silence, tension thick in the air. All of the sounds of the carnival slowly melted away, fading into background noise as a high-pitched ringing started to echo in her ears. Suddenly, his hands shot out to grip her small shoulders harshly and she looked up in surprise, eyes widening in fear.

With a flash of light, Nancy Carrow was cured.

And the town of Derry, Maine would never be the same again.