Untitled Part 7

have mercy on me,

Take it easy on my heart.

Even though you don't mean to hurt me,

You keep tearing me apart - Shawn Mendes

~*~

I found Jace seated on a couch in the living room, looking completely worn out. His face moist from the sweat and his eyes droopy and red, he looked like he'd woken up to a really bad migraine.

His lips stretched to form a tired smile when he spotted me. "Hey," he whispered, his voice weak, but better than before.

"Hey, how's your arm?" I asked him concernedly, sitting beside him and looping an arm around his shoulder.

"Geez, Cat, it's just a cut," he muttered, slowly sitting up straight. "I'm all better now."

"You don't look better," I commented, raising my arms up in surrender. "You should rest for a little while more."

"Thanks, mom." His lips curled into a pout as he studied my face. "You're serious, aren't you? I'm fine."

"Oh, whatever." I rolled my eyes at him and leaned my head against his shoulder. "You and your stupid ego."

I got no response to that. Instead, he shifted slightly and wrapped his free arm around my back.

"Thanks for not calling the hospital; you know how much I hate it there. The smell of sick people and antibiotics -- " Feeling him shudder beside me, I couldn't help but laugh.

"You're my best friend, Jace," I cut him off, a smile still on my face. "You don't have to thank me. It's the unwritten rule of friendship."

• • • • •

"I heard that Zach's coming back today," Lizzie leaned over and whispered to me. "He's leaving again the day after, though."

"He spends half his life in Chicago, bunking school," I whispered back. "How on earth is he the class president?"

"Elizabeth, Catherine!" I jumped at the sound of my Algebra teacher's voice and immediately opened my textbook, pretending to be engrossed in my work.

"Let's see how much you've managed to complete," the teacher continued, walking towards us, one hand adjusting his round spectacles. When he reached my table, he pulled out my notebook and flung it in the air. "Nothing," he hissed at me, "You finish these sums by the end of the day, otherwise, you get detentions for a week."

"Same goes to you, Elizabeth," he barked, before stalking haughtily to his desk.

"Shit," we both murmured together before getting on with our Algebra.

I whacked my head and mulled my brain in deep thought as I tried to solve each equation. The entire class was quiet, much to the teacher's satisfaction. The sound of heavy breathing could be heard all around the room, and even a pencil dropping on the ground erupted into a loud sound.

Just like most peaceful moments, this one didn't last for long.

"Hey, Mr. Altman!"

Every student turned their heads to the direction of the voice, startled out of their minds. Zachary Smith was at the door, hands in his pockets, a bright smile sported on his face.

"Mr. Smith. Fashionably late . . . is it?" Mr. Altman -- the algebra teacher -- grinned, showing off his worn, yellow teeth. "Come inside."

He stepped inside the classroom and looked around before taking a seat in the only empty chair. The one next to mine.

I turned to him and gave a small smile, not knowing what to say. He returned it hesitantly before leaning over and placing his mouth next to my ear.

"I've to talk to you," he whispered. "Meet me after class?"

"What's wrong?" I ran my fingers through my hair and proceeded to finish the math equation I'd been working on.

"Nothing." He sighed deeply and glanced at me once more before turning back to take out his books. "I just need to talk to you."

"Sure," I muttered. "I'll see you after school."

• • • • •

Zach was leaning against the wall in the classroom, hands in his pockets. He had a faraway expression on his face, his chocolate-brown eyes glinting with apprehensiveness.

When he spotted me, he straightened up and shot me a small smile. "Hey."

"Hey," I replied, going forward to stand next to him. "What's up?"

Zach was silent for a while, looking downwards as if he didn't know what to say. Finally, he opened his mouth and the words tumbled out of his mouth.

"You know that I'd never do anything to hurt you, right?"

I took a step back, taken aback by his question. "Yeah . . . " I said slowly, trying to process his string of words. "I know."

"Neither would Jace."

That particular sentence made me narrow my eyes at him, racking my brain for an explanation. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"That's why we hid the truth from you for so long."

"What truth?" I stressed on each syllable carefully, my words laced with frustration. "Zach, what are you talking about?"

"Your Prince Charming -- your Knight in Shining Armor is -- "

"Jace?" I interrupted him, my voice raising a couple of octaves, my eyebrows furrowed together. "It's him, isn't it?"

My hands shook with anger as I shot that accusation. "This was the explanation for Jace's weird behavior," I thought to myself, harshly. Even though Zach hadn't replied yet, back then, I was sure of my answer.

All the broken pieces in my head suddenly clicked, revealing the final picture. The final answer.

Jace was my Prince Charming. Jace was the guy who ran out on me.

Jason Harley, who was supposed to be my best friend.

"No . . . " Zach, murmured, looking at me straight in the eye. "It isn't Jace."

"Then who is it, Zach?"

I swear I would have killed him if he continued beating around the bush, I was that angry. My voice shook as the words left my mouth, my heart beating fast.

He stood up, placing both his arms on a desk and leaning forward. "It's me."

• • • • • • • • • •

Hey, guys!

Well, dropped a bomb there, didn't I? Well what do you think?

I actually have an important announcement to make:

IF I WERE CINDERELLA IS NOW A FEATURED STORY! I was so excited when I found out, and I still am, lol. Thanks for all of you for your support! I love y'all! <3

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote, comment and maybe even drop a follow.

See y'all later!