Chapter one

The months that followed the storm that was Altissia were hard to say the least. With each passing day the sun struggled to break the horizon, it was only a matter of time before it ceased completely, plunging Eos into constant, perpetual darkness. That in mind, the population of Lucis steadily began to decline. More and more people were lost to the scourge or to daemon attacks, who of which, were getting braver the longer the nights stretched. Daemons began appearing in places once deemed safe, towns and villages abandoned following ambushes and overpowering hordes.

As for the King's retinue, they retreated to Lestallum for the time being. It was now the centre of life, rapidly becoming crowded as more refugees poured in from all over Eos, Accordo and Niflheim included. Prompto assisted Cid in weapon repairs, Cindy insisted he move to safety despite his distaste for the idea, he also developed various enhancements for transport vehicles and weapons alike. Gladio often took up local hunts with Iris and Cor, training his younger sister- against his better judgement, it was bound to happen with or without him anyways. Ignis remained confined to the shared apartment, Talcott was tasked with fetching him the books he required, given the man would much rather be of proper use, Gladio refused to allow it.

It wasn't so much that he didn't want Ignis out hunting, it was more the fact that behind the stoic, strong exterior, the man was damaged and unhinged. Not in the best way either. Slowly descending into paranoia and depression. If Gladio mentions it, questions it even, Ignis is on the defensive or disregards the notion entirely, as if he isn't aware of the change. Or if he is, he won't acknowledge it. Suffice to say, Gladio's at a loss on what to do about it. Once again, he'll just have to be patient.

"Hey, you alright?" Gladio asked, shooting Ignis a glance from across the room. "You're lookin' kinda spaced out."

Sitting up from his growing pile of books, Ignis yawned, most likely from boredom than exhaustion. "Merely deep in thought. Have you any news?"

"Nothin' you don't already know. Sorry I ain't got anythin' more for you to read, can't really explore ruins when we barely got enough people to help the outposts." Gladio said, his half-hearted apology sounding ridiculous to his own ears.

"Gladio-"

The shield huffed and raised a finger to silence him, knowing what he was going to say. "No, Iggy. Don't gimme that look- I told you, you ain't hunting. We agreed on it."

Ignis rolled his eyes, propping his head up on his palm, avoiding Gladio's scrutinising gaze. "Yes well, I for one don't see what the problem is, it's been months, I cannot see why you're still being so stubborn about it." While Gladio thought it was a reasonable request, Ignis didn't agree but resented arguing so conceded. Given his hatred for losing anything.

"I told you, I ain't gonna stand here and watch you be a reckless bastard. Not again. You wanna be useful? Use that brain of yours, let me 'n' everyone else do the dirty work. I ain't letting you be a martyr, got it?" Gladio tried to reason but Ignis' face showed little chance of him giving up easily this time.

"You won't permit me to be of use, yet you allow Iris to fend for herself- Your younger sister I might add, that has never fought a daemon until recently. Have you a valid reason for not keeping her under lock and key?"

Gladio winced at the bitterness in Ignis' voice, the cold stare that followed sent a chill down his spine. "Iris didn't nearly get herself killed, you did."

"I am not a child! Nor am I so physically useless you need to confine me!" Ignis stood abruptly, flinching when the chair fell backwards and how his own voice rose. "I am perfectly capable of fighting, be it alone or with you or anyone else. If anything this feels like a punishment. You literally just informed me of the shortage in able-bodies, locking me up here is doing nothing to prevent more outposts from being overrun, nor protect the people that need it."