Playing Ninja

PLAYING NINJA

The sun peaked over the horizon, glazing the valley in a honey hue. Warm orange light splayed across the green tree leaves in the thick forests surrounding the Uchiha compound. Birds chirped quietly from their nests in branches. The chilly morning air began to warm with the Land of Fire's summer sun.

The Uchiha compound was a massive thing. Having harbored the clan for years upon years, it's no surprise the mighty clan would have a mighty place to call home.

Well... mighty more or less. That was if you could count high walls and carefully built structures crafted by perfectionists as mighty. Not that you should go around asking clan members if they thought their home was mighty enough. The obvious response would be a hard yes, followed by a very, very confused expression. Maybe even a casual point toward the nearest healer.

The head of the Uchiha clan was Uchiha Tajima. His heir, Madara Uchiha, may only be fifteen, but it didn't stop the consistent grooming or responsibilities for his place as future clan head. Madaras's successor remained Izuna Uchiha, at least until Madara married and had his own children. 

Izuna being the second oldest, spent a lot of time sharing in Madara's duties. So, that left the two youngest children of the main family, Uchiha Kano, and Uchiha Wataru, plenty of time to play with their closest cousins, Asami and Hana Uchiha.

Now, there have been mentions of many different names and superficial titles above, but the one you really need to concern yourself with is Asami Uchiha.

Asami Uchiha was really only one thing.

Mischievous.

And her father knew that very, very well.

"Asami, where do you think you're going?"

Daichi Uchiha was a tall, slender man. His wavy salt and pepper hair hung messily in his face due to the lack of time to maintain it, sometimes so long it would get in his eyes and he'd have to blow it out of the way. Tasks such as helping Tajima manage the clan while running around after his two twin little girls all on his own tended to fill most of his schedule. It had been that way since they were born, but he loved his girls too much to even think of complaining. Even if it could be tiring. Since their mother had died giving birth, he had given the duty of fatherhood everything he had, for his girls and for the woman he lost.

Even if one of his girls especially could be a bit of a pain. 

He placed his hand on the shoji door and pushed it into its pocket, blocking the doorway to the front room. He stared down at his eight-year-old daughter, her big black eyes staring up at him with something he detected to be feigned innocence.

Asami took two steps back and folded her hands neatly behind herself. She smiled cheekily up at him, two black hairs pulled out from her half-up ponytail and dangling in her face. "Just on my way to meet Wataru-chan and Kano-chan down at the river!"

"Mhm..." he raised a brow at her, looking her up and down for a fault in her story.

"Something wrong, Tou-chan?"

"Where's your sister?" He asked, his eyebrow slowly inching up.

"She's playing with Hanami-chan." Answered Asami without missing a beat. "Said she wanted to work on her braiding skills or something... not really sure what they're doing."

He eyed her for a few minutes longer, scrutinizing her. He didn't believe her, but Asami was very sure of her abilities to craft a story. Asami swayed on the balls of her feet and pursed her lips, looking around at the hallway she was currently trapped in. She peered around him, eyeing the front door that was practically laughing in her face.