Chapter 3

The little brown book looked daring, inviting, tempting. It was just sitting on the edge of the counter, begging her to crack open its pages. The endless stream of suggestions from the voices in her head didn't help either.

You've never once been curious to know what he writes about you? I bet he scribbles down his innermost feelings for you.

What if I see the truth and I don't like it? Emry was thinking about more than just Bellos's attitude towards her. What if he was right to hide his theories from her?

What happened to all that bravado earlier? Wouldn't you like to be able to plan out your time if it is close?

She looked around her room. The Alpha tried to brighten up the place since she spent so much time there, but the decorations only dampened her mood. The walls were filled with scenes she wanted to see for herself: calm ocean waves on a sunny day, the mist surrounding a forest waterfall, a sunset over a wide canyon and many others. Places she could never visit.

The photos on the wall taunted her as if they knew the truth. The small flame that was her life was flickering out having ignited absolutely nothing.

The voices were right. If she only had a little time left to live, she refused to spend it as the bitch-girl of the pack. Emry had spent enough time waiting for a miracle. She wanted a chance to truly live before she died.

With or without Bellos.

Nearly eighteen years old and she had never been away from the area surrounding the pack house. She felt like a prisoner in her own home. Since her blackout, Bellos was paranoid about her safety. He ordered two warriors to follow her anywhere other than the pack house and the hospital in case she had another episode.

Emry understood his desire to keep her safe, but she was being smothered, always watched outdoors as if he was afraid she would disappear.

Or run away from him. You almost made it to the pack border. You were almost free. The voices reminded her.

You mean you were almost free. I know that you have been controlling my body when I black out. Emry told them.

They scoffed at her. Smarty has finally started to figure things out. If only you allowed us to take control more often.

So you could threaten pack members and try to take me away from the only family I have ever known? You would make me Rouge?

A shitty family. You don't need them. All you need is us. While you hesitate, we take action. See?

Emry looked at the brown notebook clutched in her hand. Whatever or whoever was in her head was becoming more dangerous. It was strong enough to control her subconscious actions.

Open it. Open it. Open it. Again, she couldn't tell where her thoughts ended and hers began.

Unable to convince herself otherwise, Emry opened the book. The first few pages were blank except for a title, EMRY-VI. It was hard to imagine that her life was interesting enough to fill six books.

Unsurprisingly, Bellos kept the notebook neat and his handwriting was suspiciously tidy. Though it was filled to the brim, the Alpha used a lot of abbreviations, symbols, and shorthand she couldn't decipher.

The book looked to be in chronological order, going back almost two years. Charts with abbreviated labels and columns filled nearly a third of the book. Some she recognized as vitals and data from bloodwork. She had no idea as to what others meant.

The rest was filled with short, nearly daily observations on her condition. Nothing personal or noteworthy was logged except for how she was feeling or looking. He also meticulously logged her reactions to the various serums he used on her.