49. the boggart in the wardrobe

     MALFOY DID NOT REAPPEAR IN CLASS UNTIL LATE ON THURSDAY MORNING, when the Slytherins and Gryffindors were halfway through double Potions

     MALFOY DID NOT REAPPEAR IN CLASS UNTIL LATE ON THURSDAY MORNING, when the Slytherins and Gryffindors were halfway through double Potions. He swaggered into the dungeon, his right arm covered in bandages and bound up in a sling, acting, in Harper's opinion, as though he was the heroic survivor of some dreadful battle.

"How is it, Draco?" Pansy simpered. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," Malfoy replied, putting on a brave sort of grimace. But Harper saw him wink at Crabbe and Goyle when Pansy had looked away.

That little git.

"Settle down, settle down," Professor Snape said and Harper could see Ron and Harry scowl at each other; Snape wouldn't have said 'settle down' if they'd walked in late, he'd have given them detention. But Malfoy had always been able to get away with anything in Snape's classes; Snape was Head of Slytherin house, and generally favored his own students before all others.

They were making a new potion today, a Shrinking Solution. Malfoy set his cauldron right next to Harry and Ron so that they were preparing their ingredients on the same table, which was the table behind Hermione and Harper.

"Sir," Malfoy called out, "sir, I'll need help cutting up these daisy roots, because of my arm . . ."

"Weasley, cut up Malfoy's roots for him," Snape said, without looking up.

As Harper glanced behind her, she could see Ron going brick red.

"There is nothing wrong with your arm," he hissed at Malfoy.

Malfoy smirked across the table.

"Weasley, you heard Professor Snape, cut up these roots."

Ron seized his knife, pulled Malfoy's roots towards him and began to chop them roughly, so that they were all different sizes.

"Professor," Malfoy drawled and Harper knew nothing good was about to came out of his mouth, "Weasley's mutilating my roots, sir."

Snape approached their table, stared down his hooked nose at the roots, then gave Ron an unpleasant smile from beneath his long, greasy black hair.