Afterward

Nico went on to be a semi-famous artist in France. He spent almost three years in the Lida ghetto, 1,679 km from his home in Colmar, France. He, his mother and sister were put in housing with the Bek family (the boy Nico befriends, Adam's family.) He was the only surviving member of his family. His Mother, Patrece LaBant died of exhaustion and starvation in Lida, and Ella, his sister, died from Cholera in the ghetto. Nothing is known of what happened to Will or his father. Adam's father and baby sister die soon after entering the Lida ghetto. Of the Bek family, only Adam and his mother survive.

After the war Nico lived with the Bek family in Ostheim, France, only 10.7 km from his home in Colmar. He lives on their farm from the age of 16 to the age of 22. He then moves to Paris, France to study art, where he writes many books on the horrors of war and world peace as well as on philosophy and art. He also painted many dystopian pictures of the war. He never married and lived in Paris until his death on 6 July 2005, at the age of 78. He died of natural causes.

At some point he visited his house in Colmar. He retrieved all of the things from the floorboards of his room. This included the note he left for Anna, his diagram of an iris flower, multiple charcoal and graphite drawings, and a small oil painting. This along with his diary was found in his house in Paris by members of the Bek family.