my strange addiction

"Shit," Julia huffed, switching the channel from MTV to NBC for what felt like the millionth time that day. "Is he on tv again?" Courtney yelled from the bathroom.

"Yes!" Julia shouted back, her lips twisting into a frown. Foo Fighters newly released music video for I'll Stick Around had played at least six times that day on MTV.

It's not like she didn't like seeing dave plastered on the television in her living room. He looked strangely handsome to her, brown stringy hair disheveled and covering his face at times as he bounced around, his lively hazel eyes transcending all limits as they bored into hers.

Maybe she did like it a tiny bit.

But seeing him only emphasized the feelings of loneliness and desperation that felt like some unending, lifelong punishment. Seeing him just reminded her that there would be no one else that could even compare to her ex-lover.

Julia was too enriched in her own thoughts to notice Courtney staring at her with a look of pity.

She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Jules, stop thinking about him. We're going out tonight, and you'll meet someone so much better!" She exclaimed, joining Julia on the sofa, her heart sinking at the sight of her friends woeful demeanor.

"Yeah yeah, I know," she muttered, nodding bleakly. Courtney frowned again, throwing an arm around Julia, pulling her into a hug.

Courtney would've done anything to free Julia of the state of agony she'd been stuck in for the past three years. It hurt like hell to see her closest friend in this seemingly endless echo chamber of pain, but she knew Julia was hurting even worse.

"Do you want me to help you get ready?" Courtney asked softly, Julia still in her embrace. She cracked a soft smile, and nodded.
"That would be nice."

________________________________

"Don't you think this is a bit much? For clubbing?" Julia asked, scrunching her nose up as she viewed herself in the bathroom mirror. Courtney had picked out a sleeveless, black leather dress that hugged Julia's curves divinely. She had paired the dress with her beat up black converse that she had slipped onto her feet too many times to count. Heels were a hassle she didn't feel like fooling with.

"It's perfect." Courtney said simply, smiling wickedly at her friend. Julia huffed, turning to Courtney, who sat on the porcelain ledge of the bathtub. "I guess." She muttered, throwing her purse over her shoulder.

"Atta girl," Courtney grinned, standing up, and playfully elbowing her in the side.

Julia put on a smile, hoping that getting shitfaced, and fucking any Tom, Joe, or Dick that wandered her way would mend her heart for the time being.