7

▷ micah barrett ◁  

"Another week complete!" Griffin cheers, skipping up to the spot by my car where Watson, Jesse, and I stand. When she reaches us, she brushes hair out of her face and grabs my cigarette from my hand, taking a quick puff. "You should really stop this smoking thing," she blows out her plume of smoke with a wink, dropping her bag by her feet.

"You're one to talk," I chuckle, taking my own drag as I lean against my driver's seat door.

"Where are we headed today?"

Another tradition of ours. Every Friday, we go do something in the town as a friend group. It can range from dinner and a movie to skinny dipping in the lake at the park while we're high off our rockers. We missed last Friday for...obvious reasons, and we decided that this Friday needed to make up for it.

"Is Sidney coming? Cause you know that regardless of what we say, we're gonna do what she wants anyway..." Jesse shades, giving me a side eye before sliding her sunglasses down from her forehead.

I pass her nasty look back as I hand Griffin the rest of my cigarette. In gracious return, she hands me a fresh one of her own that I stick behind my ear. "No, she's sick."

"What about Saturn and a movie? Simple, quiet, and something we all may want to do," Griffin suggests.

"A smoothie I can slip some alcohol in, my girl, and a dark place where no one will be focused on me...you don't know what you've done, Duffy." Watson grabs Jesse by her waist and nuzzles into her, placing kisses on her neck while she laughs and playfully pushes him away.

"You're disgusting, dude," I groan, casting my attention to the open double doors of the school. Another rush of students exit from inside the red hall and there, in all her beauty, is Micah Blue.

In a sea of black, white, and gray, all I can see is her plum-colored shirt and beige overalls. She's a total explosion of color up against everyone else. Her hair is up in a messy ponytail, with pieces of her hair framing her flushed face. She walks down the stairs, the bounce in her step so refreshing and wonderful and...beautiful.

Griffin follows my gaze and calls out to Micah. "Micah Blue!"

Micah's head whips in our direction and our eyes meet immediately. With a smile, I wave her over. She starts making her way towards us, hands clenched around her bookbag straps so tight, her knuckles go pale white.

She stops about ten feet away from us, squinting over at Watson.

"You don't have any dodgeballs on you, do you?" She bites, causing Watson to let go of Jesse and sigh.

"It was merely a cruel joke," He shows his hands to Micah, giving her lazy jazz hands. "No red rubber on me, baby."

"Just a precaution." Griffin turns towards her and puts her hands on Micah's shoulders.

"We're going out, and you're coming."

"Pardon?" The french slips out of her mouth so effortlessly, making me laugh.

"We're going to go get smoothies and then go see a movie. Preferably, that new comedy."

"Nope, not seeing that one. I think it's gonna be fucking horrible," Watson complains.

"Nobody cares what you think," Griffin jokingly snaps. "You're probably just saying that because it's a character-driven story fronted by women."