Chapter Two | Blessings

Allyson

Allyson

Caleb pressed into my side, allowing me to wrap my arm around him as we entered the house. I couldn't help but smile when his arm slid around my waist in response. The action seemed trivial, but it was evidence of progress. Just two years ago, Caleb wouldn't even let me touch him without looking completely uncomfortable. I'd never be able to put into words how proud I was of him for learning to cope with the disability God had given him.

I think a lot of his progress came from an improved relationship with my mother, but a little piece of me also thought that Alexis' positive presence in his life had a little something to do with it.

"D-Did you know that a woodpecker's tongue w-wra... goes completely around it's skull?" Caleb asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

He knew good-and-well I didn't know the answer.

I smiled at him and shook my head. "No, Caleb. I had no idea. You know, I'm in medical school, but we aren't required to take a woodpecker anatomy class."

"Well, now you know." Caleb tapped his index finger and his thumb together in a slow rhythm. "It'll be a good p-piec... information to have in case you want to impress your friends."

I ruffled his hair as we walked beside each other. "You're something else."

He shoved my hands away from his head as we entered the kitchen. It didn't take him long to find Alexis who sat at the bar listening to her mother talk on the phone to someone about a woman in the airport this morning.

Caleb and Alexis exchanged a few whispers before a beautiful smile spread across Alexis' lips. It reminded me a lot of Daxson's smile, and it made me even more thankful that Caleb had her. She pulled one of Caleb's sketch books from her backpack and slid it into his awaiting hands.

"I'll be there in a minute," Alexis whispered, maintaining eye contact with Caleb. "I just want to say hi to Ally and Dax."

Caleb nodded and carried the sketch book into the living room before he finally disappeared from my view.

"Hey, Ally." Alexis wiggled her fingers in an effort to draw my attention. "As you can see, I'm taking care of your brother. No need to worry."

I offered her a sweet smile. "I know. He's in great hands. I can't thank you enough."

"You've done a lot for my family, so no thanks necessary." She rested her chin in her hands. "The real question though, is my brother still taking care of you?"

            I turned my back on her to pull a glass from the cabinet, allowing a laugh to escape my lips. "Yeah, I guess he does a pretty good job."

            Without warning, Daxson's strong arms encircled my waist, pulling me close until my back pressed against his firm chest. I wrapped my fingers tightly around the glass and smiled because I knew he'd heard my comment to his sister. Batting my eyelashes, I tilted my head back to look up at him.