using anciet greek tragedies in your writing.

PATHOS

creating stories that are emotion heavy allows viewers to connect with characters on a more personal level. for example the story of echo is incredibly provoking due to the characters kindness and lack of ability to defend herself from those who would due her harm.

HAMARTIA

that fatal flaw. it's often a positive thing, like echo's trust, icarus's ambitions, or odysseus's cunning. the hamartia takes a character and makes them wary of their own identity or makes them double down on the trait causing more problems.

IRONY AND HUBRIS

odysseus and icarus are prime candidates for this, it wasn't that they weren't capable of great things, it was that they were too prideful. odysseus helped end the war but his own pride is why it takes him so long to return home. icarus was free but he wanted to touch the sun. hubris similar to the hamartia can serve as a thematic warning.

NEMESIS

it was crucial for these characters to have a nemesis so they could achieve victory or ultimately fail. it couldn't be vague, it had to be a real threat that pushed the characters beyond their limits, be it a jealous hera, or men after odysseus wife, or an island that stalled the passage of time. these challenges allowed for characters to be shaped and to show whether they would run from a challenge or face it head on.

REVERSAL OF FATE

often times the heroes would have their lives divined and they would either love the outcome or hate it, and the options come down to embracing it or running from it. but the irony comes in the hamartia, if a man destined for riches trusts every merchant, he'll reverse his fate. if a man destined to be murdered uses paranoia to survive then he's more likely to enact his own fate. another great way to weave in a thematic principle.

CATHARSIS

a release of emotions from the viewer at the unfortunate events of the tragic hero. it is in the defeat of the characters, others can find comfort in their own losses and find a sense of understanding.